Are KYB Gas-A-Just rear shocks height adjustable?

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

moggy
DDK rules my life!

Are KYB Gas-A-Just rear shocks height adjustable?

Post by moggy »

I've got a set on the back of mine but I can't see if they're height adgustable.

The drivers side on the back has a serious sag so I need to either adjust the height or get new springs.

Cheers

Moggy
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

Only the spring controls the ride height. A damper does what it says on the tin.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
moggy
DDK rules my life!

Post by moggy »

nick-moss wrote:Only the spring controls the ride height. A damper does what it says on the tin.
I know that :roll: but some shocks have an adjustable mount for the spring to sit on which can adjust the ride height, is the KYB one of these? :)
kevster
Married to the DDK

Post by kevster »

should be fairly obvious if they are adjustable, the lower spring seat is usually threaded so it can be wound down/up. If theyre not then the spring seat will be welded.

DO you know if you can get inserts rather than buy the whole assembly? my boges have been leaking.

another way of adjusting height is to buy lower/higher springs or just replace the std ones rather than buy the whole unit.
'74 silver 914 2.0 US import
'91 944 S2 cab
renault scenic dci
trek Y22 OCLV FS
GT dyno deuce cruiser
sarasota cruiser
not enough toys - too little time...
moggy
DDK rules my life!

Post by moggy »

Yep, just checked underneath and there's no evidence of the bottom spring perch being adjustable. I'll order up a set of new 165 rated springs from Pelican and see if that resolves the drivers side sag.

Not sure about the inserts, sorry. Perhaps a mail off the Pelican will help out, they sertainly got back to me very quickly with a detailed response.
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

Moggy, Have you tried swapping the shocks over (very quick job only 10 mins) Just to check it's definitely the spring that's at fault?
moggy
DDK rules my life!

Post by moggy »

fourteener wrote:Moggy, Have you tried swapping the shocks over (very quick job only 10 mins) Just to check it's definitely the spring that's at fault?
That is a bloody good idea, I'll try that when I get a chance, before I go and order up a new set of springs.