The XK

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: The XK

Post by 911hillclimber »

These workings a just the best.
Thank goodness the two of you go about these restorations with such acute focus.
Fabulous to see and read.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
sladey

Post by sladey »

Fantastic stuff Jonathan - thanks for sharing. Also love that JFK quote
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

Thanks chaps…..glad you agree Mark…
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Stunning JP 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: The X

Post by jtparr »

Part 16

The Metal Meister …part 7

In many respects that was the biggest test of patience and difficulty for the body, so whilst not over ….the remaining work was a series of smaller but equally creative tasks, all undertaken with the single aim to reduce visual clutter ….each with a story best told in pictures……

Boot lid
Just like the 911, an E Type has an internal pull mechanism for the operation of the boot and this feature was something I wanted to replicate on the XK. The original mechanism was a classic T shaped handle which operated a pretty basic system of rods to lock the lid….all of which were worn out and not something I wanted to reinstate. An alternative and hidden locking mechanism was sourced which could be modified to fit and operated by the same discrete pull handle that an E Type has
However this was also part of the same upgrade process as the doors….so out with the timber frame and in with a bespoke profile to create a completely aluminium assembly

Number plate, lock and handle
In a similar fashion the original external mounting plate and external light really needed to be redesigned so we could simplify the collection of individual parts
So after a number of conversations and mock ups we agreed that a simple recess was by far the best solution
Having crafted the modified bumpers on my E Type, Barry excelled himself by then creating this lovely shape which doubles as a handle incorporating concealed lights for the number plate….an addition function of the original design which was to provide a reverse light is going to be provided by modifying the wiring loom and incorporating a reverse light into the paired rear light units

Steering column
There seem to be a variety of solutions to the conversion of XK’s from LHD to RHD as all incorporate an upgrade from the original rigid column design and worm drive steering box to a later XK140 or 150 rack and pinion assembly which uses a multi linked steering column which then requires a different exit through the firewall than original
We were not convinced by any of these primarily because they all have a somewhat Heath Robinson appearance, being composed of a collection of bits….so we refined the parts….naturally…involving rose jointing and finishing the lower steering column on a lathe to create a solution that actually looked like it may have been the original design

And that, as they say….is that……for the shell at least….there were other issues and ideas but this is the essence of the work….more than I had probably imagined but nothing that I wouldn’t repeat if we had our time again
It has involved an immense amount of effort, and has come as some cost ….but this car was a reaction for too many friends passing….so in that sense the cost is utterly irrelevant

Thanks for looking…….mechanical works next…….
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Quite breathtaking and as said before, just fabulous this has happened between you both.

What a great project for us all watching.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9