Classic and Rebuild Vehicles Consultation

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

cayman38
DDK Newbie

Classic and Rebuild Vehicles Consultation

Post by cayman38 »

The subject of modified and rebuilt vehicles seems to be up for discussion again. Any submissions being made on this?

https://www.gov.uk/government/calls-for ... o-electric
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Classic and Rebuild Vehicles Consultation

Post by 911hillclimber »

I filled in my form and sent it off a few days ago. ANYONE with a classic vehicle should/must respond to ensure the DVLA/Gov is lobbied as hard as possible.

The areas under discussion will affect anyone with an old vehicle in some way or other.

Some new rules will come from this and may not be nice to read.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
cayman38
DDK Newbie

Post by cayman38 »

Hi Graham,

I work with Des on the Modified Register and have written to PCGB Chairman and Register Director pointing out that the Club submitted responses back in 2017 on the last go around via FBHVC and it would be great to get members informed view submitted from the Club as well as their individual submissions.

Ralph
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

PCGB is not a member of FBHVC.
I have been for several years now, they need people's support otherwise the DVLA will simply tear the classic vehicle interest apart.

I will be urging PCGB to join this week. Maybe another request to join will push things along.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

I see part of it states
Historic and classic vehicles
The allocation of registration numbers is mostly determined by a vehicle’s date of manufacture or date of first registration. The law does not specifically define a vehicle as historic or classic, but a vehicle may be exempt from the payment of VED if it’s more than 40 years old and is eligible for the historic vehicle tax class. There are around 1.1 million vehicles in the historic vehicles tax, of which 600,000 are currently licensed.

You can see why they want to issue a Q plate, for any reason whatsoever, I dare say a Q plate will be taxed at the minimum rate of £180 per annum, so a huge opportunity to get revenue in.

They go on about safety, and then say some of the parts must be at least 25 years old, but your tyres, windscreen wipers and lights are exempt?? No mention of brakes driveshafts, shock absorbers, fuel pipe etc. etc - what world do these people live in?
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

And THAT is why it is important to do the survey which will take about 5 mins, that's all.

It is full of this type of stuff, and I am sure the thinking at DVLA is not in our favor.
These changes have to be challenged, I thought the DVLA and other depts around were Civil Servants not Civil Masters?

It costs nothing to do the survey, it might cost a fortune if people do not.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

There are some big red flags in there.

Take the question:

“3.22. If you consider it important for a consumer purchasing a vehicle to know if it’s had major restoration work done to it, please provide evidence and reasons to support your views.”

The obvious leading answer, is “yes, a purchaser should know if they are buying a restored car”

But wouldn’t be hard to twist those responses to say people want all restoration work to be properly recorded / registered on a database & only carried out by suitably qualified registered professionals. Leaving hobby owners / repairs/ mechanics left out.
cayman38
DDK Newbie

Post by cayman38 »

Repeated from a post in the PCGB forum:

“The FBHVC (Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs) which represents many car clubs, have produced a series of detailed responses in a positioning statement here: http://evidence.fbhvc.co.uk . You can tick each section to show agreement (or disagree and add you own comments) and just add your details, rather than having to complete the whole DVLA questionaire.
Other car clubs seem to be circulating this to all of their members in order to get a greater response.”
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Previously, in other public consultations. Each response is considered as “one” response and the fact it represents the opinions of hundreds or thousands is ignored.

So I’d strongly encourage doing it yourself too. Even if you only answer some questions
cayman38
DDK Newbie

Post by cayman38 »

Good point
KS

Post by KS »

This is the kind of shite that is stirring things up. 1927 Ford T hot rod with 3.5-litre Rover engine and box chassis - but registered as a 1954 Ford Pop with its original 1172cc side-valve engine.
DVLA is not stupid (or is no longer stupid) and this is precisely why the aforementioned stuff is starting to hit the fan.

Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Those days are LONG gone, freedom like this went out in the 80's.

The world is a different place 40 years on.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
cayman38
DDK Newbie

Post by cayman38 »

That’s pushing the envelope, as they say and taking the pi$$.

I had a 3.8L Carrera engine installed and tuned in my former 981 PDK 3.4L Cayman S and reported the new capacity and engine number to DLVA & insurance company and would have been unhappy to have a Q plate for that.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

https://www.gov.uk/government/calls-for ... o-electric

Simple survey, everyone should do it!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

I do not suppose it helps the ‘Revenue Hunters’ are a bit peeved that any car over 40 years old with Historic status is also exempt from the ULEZ in cities. So any they can get on a Q plate, brings in the cash.
So you now end up with people scrapping 20 year old cars and buying a classic Mini, VW Golf or MG to run around the city in. More polluting, but at least it is keeping the classic car market going, as well as garages that maintain them.

Looks like Porsche Boxster prices may increase as a result?

The whole system is a complete mess.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/best-u ... t-classics

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/consumer- ... sions-fees