USA 1970 911T - the Tangerine Dream

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: USA 1970 911T - the Tangerine Dream

Post by RobFrost »

On first fitting, the sill was about a centimetre proud of the door. It was definitely clamped up tight, so it was simply made too deep.

I spent the entire day fettling it. I don't know how the pro's do it, but for me it culminated in clamping it tight in place, putting some wood across the top corner, and bashing it with a hefty hammer. It's a lovely fit right now - next challenge is to keep it there while it's welded.

This is the space I'm working in, most often lying down with my head under the mig cable, hence the tight, wide angle photos.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

After several days' fettling, I was finally satisfied with the fit of the sill. Flush with the door and about 3.5 mm gap along its length. It was a bit fiddly at the front end but I managed to do it with the door on.

I spot welded the middle sill on to the inner before adding the outer sill, then spot welded the outer through both of them on the vertical part of the flange, and then also to the top horizontal part of the flange, as per the original factory welds.

And welded to the kidney bowl. It's not shown here but I added a lateral support inside the sill connecting the kidney bowl to the jacking point.

Next up, clean up the welds, paint and stone chip and then think about putting the rear wing and slam panel back on.

I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

For a month now I've been on all fours on a hard floor in confined space getting burnt, spiked and banging my head. But enough about my wife's sexual preferences, on with the build...

I bought the Dansk slam panel for here, but it won't be needed... and I'm hoping I can fabricate something closer to the original.

It's heaven to be fabricating something on the bench after being cooped up.

Last edited by RobFrost on Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

The panel to go back in, pre repair.

PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

Nice work. 'Bashing it with a hefty hammer'. Sounds exactly like my Porsche project today.
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Foremost segment of the rear wing reconstructed

One last fit and fettle.

Epoxy everything that'll be inaccessible once fitted.

Spot welded the wing repair to the slam panel repair as it won'tbe accessible once fitted. Clean up welds and acid etch the steel.

RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

I felt like i had a really productive weekend, the left hand sill is finally finished.

And I refitted the original trim flange thingy... tbh I'm not sure what it is.

The original underseal was intact but you never know what lurks underneath so I decided to cut open the chassis near the torsion bar, just to confirm all is is well.

I needn't have worried, but it did reveal a large amount of sand inside - how on earth did it all get in there?

That would have held on to any moisture which got in so I improvised a vacuum attachment out of some hose and hoovered it all out.

I sealed that hole up but I think I'll be adding a jacking point come drain hole at the bottom, which will serve for cavity wax injection later.

Finally finishing the sill and giving the left hand rear seat its second coat of paint underneath, I was finally able to strip off all the masking and get the car lowered. It was a huge morale boost to start her up. Right on the button (or after a couple of pumps of the accelerator) despite being stood for months - the battery didn't even meed charging.

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Coming together :) Engine starts are always motivational particularly when covered in grinding dust and small burns!