70T rolling resto / right date

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

hot66

Re: 70T rolling resto / right date

Post by hot66 »

For future … you can support a 911 with a single axle stand located in the centre of the front tank support where the tow eye is
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Looking good :)

I can see the hours of work in there
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

It seems to have taken an age to get parts back from platers and powder coating. I have a couple of mates who are doing this for me. The left wishbone needed a bit of bashing and a blob of weld to get it back to as new condition. However, I got most of the suspension parts back from powder coating this morning. The brake calipers came back a couple of weeks ago. I have more parts at the platers. Hopefully I will get them back next weekend. I'm also waiting for a load of parts from Design911, one of which are on back order. 16mm Thrust bearing for the front hubs being the part that is causing the delay.

1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

I had a few hours to faff in the garage this afternoon and managed to make some progress....

A friend of mine who runs a commercial lorry company removed the old bearings and pressed new ones in. So, I gave them a quick clean and a coat of silver paint to pretty them up.

I managed to get one of the old races off the suspension strut quite easily, but the other side was a major pain. I ended up cutting it as much as I could with the dremel, heating it and then managed to use the puller to get it off.

I could only get the puller on one side as the lip on the race doesn't extend much. So I had to get creative and came up with this. It worked!

I'm still waiting for some parts to arrive, but I bonded on the Elephant Racing polybronze bush races whilst I'm waitng.

Then installed new bushings to the freshly powder coated anti roll bar drop links.

I bolted the hubs to new discs and torqued them up.

Hopefully I'll be able to spend a day over Easter and will get close to getting it back on the road.
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Loving the bearing puller :)

It’s not wrong if it works
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

Got back from skiing this morning. A package from Design911 arrived whilst I was away, so I managed to spend a few hours in the garage this afternoon.

I installed new races on my suspension struts. Heated them up to 170C in the oven. I put them in a yorkshire pudding tray in oil (Mrs N not impressed).

One of the things that arrived was a new front anti-roll bar. The ends of the old one were quote worn and no longer square, so probably not doing its job well.

Now installed with new bushings and freshly powder coated brackets.

Front struts reinstalled, elephant racing ball joints installed, brake lines cleaned up and freshly power brake backing plates installed.... Getting there!
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

Bolted this back in today. Not much more I can do until the parts from the platers arrive. I thought this was going to be an easy job, but it didn't seat properly, so needed a bit of encouragement and time.

PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

Got my parts back from the platers. The blue bits are custom stand offs for my rear anti roll bar. This is required to move the ARB down slightly due to my 915 gearbox swap.

I pressed the elephant racing bushings in

Front discs, hubs and calipers bolted back on. Torsion bar bits and drop links also installed. Still waiting for the thrust washers to arrive, so not tighted up yet.

Rear ARB stand offs installed. Very pretty!
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Looking good 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)