Who to use?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Nashman
DDK Fanatic

Who to use?

Post by Nashman »

I need to send off my suspension components for blasting and plating and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

It is for a 1969 car and was also wondering if anyone has a list of the finishes on the various items...ie backplates, suspension tops etc,....

I believe the black is etched rather than powder coated....is that correct?

Any advice, gratefully received.

Thanks Matthew
rich73
Married to the DDK

Re: Who to use?

Post by rich73 »

Hi There,
I don't know about the original finishes but for the black parts I prefer to use epoxy primer and satin 2K paint after media blasting. I've had problems with powder coating where if you do get a chip and water ingress you end up with corrosion running under the plastic. 2K paint can easily be touched up or blasted off again for a new finish where as plastic can be real pain to get off. Just my experience, others may have a different opinion.

Richard
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Who to use?

Post by 911hillclimber »

Much the same as above from me, but if you are an avid 'original' restorer then others will have to answer. A look at those parts new on Design911 web site will give you a good insight to what is painted, what is plated.

On my 73T I rebuilt in 1989 I stripped and wire brushed everything, red oxide, and Hammerite Smooth satin black all over.

That finish is still there 35 years later.

Stone chip touch-up is dead easy, can be sanded back, fresh paint applied.

I would avoid powder coating, just my opinion.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9