"Le Belgique" ST build.

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: "Le Belgique" ST build.

Post by stretch »

Hope to drive the car to the Rennsport event next weekend if it's not cancelled. Decals are now on the car and i will post up pictures when i have some taken. Thought i would post up this little story from Willie Braillard from his first Spa outing in a 911, and how he became a driver in the Le Belgique ST for the 70-71 season.

I love reading this stuff. 8)
Dave

Willy Braillard, who gives us the story of his first 24 Hours of Spa. It was in 1969 ...

" In 1969, I am 23 years old, I am in the third season of competition, in Formula Vee, and René Moerenhout, boss of the club 'Les Gémeaux', Boulevard du Souverain in Brussels, client of Jean-Pierre Gaban, asks me to do the 24 Hours of Spa with him in his Porsche 911. A bold proposition ... I had never driven in touring before! No need to think about it to accept. I had been a reserve driver for Team Opel in 1968 , at the initiative of Paul Deetens, team director, which allowed me to do 5 laps in testing on a Commodore.

Cool testing with the 911, and on Saturday, René takes the start. As he was much taller than me, we had a procedure when entering the pits or in the deceleration lane: we had to either move forward or back the seat depending on the driver behind. Marks were painted on the floor, and it only took a glance to spot them. Naturally, René forgot to move the seat forward (very light!) Which supported us up to the middle of the back! And from the first round, I almost got out at Stavelot! Sliding car and all the trouble in the world to master it by driving with your fingertips! When I left the pits, I found it weird to crack the gears, but naturally, I couldn't fully disengage! On the 2nd lap, I was in the wake of the 911 from Chasseuil / Ballot-Léna, the future winners, at the entrance to the S of Masta when I was very surprised to see it braking violently. Immediately, a cloud of dust and parts flew ... A car had come out ... But which and who?

For 5 laps, that is to say more than 22 minutes, we eased the foot at the entrance of the S (yellow flags) to accelerate at the exit when we saw the remains of the poor 'Eldé', Leon Last, gentleman-driver of Liège, who passed without headphones through the window of the Mazda's door, wrapped around a telephone pole.

During the two hours of my stint, I tortured my brains to know who it was, knowing that the pilot was dead! I imagined it was a BMW, the car was so unrecognizable. I did not know any of the drivers of the rare BMW present, but when I passed the baton, I learned that it was poor Leon, who had winked at me during the briefing, to me, the beginner ...

Let's come back to the race ... My teammate used to sleepless nights in his nightclubs, I had said that the night was for him, I who had never spent a night without sleeping! At midnight, I pass the baton, determined to sleep, when after three-quarters of an hour, Roger Vanderschrick (a great pilot, injured in a serious accident at the Barisart hill climb in 911), calls me to see if I can get back behind the wheel after the minimum mandatory time, René not being comfortable in the dark.

So I get back behind the wheel, and after two hours, Roger asks me if I can continue ... That is a total of four hours behind the wheel! When I stop, although I have decided to sleep, I am asked to get back behind the wheel after three-quarters of an hour of nap! And here I am again for another four hours!

It was then, when dawn was coming, that in a daze, I set my best time. I was only a few tenths off the clock for Gérard Larousse, factory driver, Jean-Pierre Gaban's team-mate, in a car prepared in Stuttgart with 30 more horses.

Following this feat, Gaban asked me the following year to participate in my first 24 Hours of Le Mans! During the tests of the double clock tower of the Sarthe, I found myself in front of the great and late Bjorn Waldegard on the factory car! Not a little proud, the Willy ... Finally, during these 24 Hours well anchored in my memory, we took 4th place overall and first in Group 2. Very good memory of my first of ten participations in the 24 Hours of Spa .

ImageGetimage (1) by stretch1985, on Flickr
Imagespa 69 2 by stretch1985, on Flickr
Imagespa 69 by stretch1985, on Flickr
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

Thats Fantastic , love it so much.

Thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to the decal'd photos.
Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by jeremyg »

Great archive and great story. Always more vivid in the words of the drivers themselves. May see your car at Rennsport if I manage to
make it. It seems to be on.
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Talk about pictures speaking a 1,000 words...
Such a story from the past and today, just fabulous.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Great story & pictures Dave !

I won't be at Rennsport Collective but look forward to seeing photos of your car 'all stickered up' ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

stretch wrote:...I love reading this stuff. 8) .....
...great post....it's certainly the history and the stories that captivate me 8)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

It was good to get out and catch up with friends at Stowe House last week.....the promise was a few very special cars on view and that was certainly true of the car park 8) ....

....what a car and a truly magnificent detailed build of the highest order....hats off to you Mr O'Connor, this car is legendary! 8) 8) 8) :notworthy: .....

...and exactly what it says on the tin....

Cheers,
stretch

Post by stretch »

Good to catch up Darren. Thanks for the nice comments. :)
1998 C2 996 Kettle
stretch

Post by stretch »

Well...Thursday was an eventful day.! Decided to meet up with my good friend and fellow ST boy Kirk over at GDC automotive.
Set off around 10.00 am and was met by a VW transporter van going into a bend with a trailer in tow. The trailer swung out on the bend and unfortunately i couldn't get out of the way. :evil:

The fella clipped the wheel arch on the front wing. :evil: Undeterred i decided to carry on with my day as planned.
After a cuppa and a quick catch up at Gary's, me and Kirk then set off on a drive to have a bit of Lunch. Weather was perfect.

ImageIMG-20201217-WA0000 by stretch1985, on Flickr

The car never fails to make me smile even after the morning events. Kirk was setting the pace with me right behind until my clutch pedal hit the floor 40 minutes into our drive. Managed to coast it up the kerb out of harms way.

A quick call to Garry Cooke who set off to see if he could get me fixed by the roadside. The culprit was a hairline crack in this little bugger. Apparently a common failure.

Image20201217_145900 by stretch1985, on Flickr
Image20201217_145829 by stretch1985, on Flickr

With a new part fitted by Gary i was back on my way down the M40. I had great fun driving back despite the bad luck.

A big thanks to Garry Cooke at GDC who wouldn't even accept payment from me.... Rare.

Good to get some more miles on the car before we are probably going into another lock-down.

Dave
1998 C2 996 Kettle
Lightweight_911

9 months later ...

We must be due an update now ? :wink:

Andy

stretch

Post by stretch »

Hi Andy, hope your well. Not really much to report really. :)

Since the repair to the clutch cable clevis pin i have managed to use the car the odd weekend but life has got in the way recently. I have managed to clock up around 2k miles so far and i love driving the car. A few niggles have been sorted, mainly the alternator charging issue. Gary Cooke sorted this out with a new alternator along with the cars first service with oil change, re-torquing bolts etc etc.

Everybody asks "how does it drive" to which my answer is.... i don't really know as i haven't driven a 911 since my last one which was over 18 years ago..! I notice a slight lull on acceleration which is probably down to fueling. There is a definately more resistance required turning in on the steering on one side which will need to be resolved with a full Geo set up. I decided a 400 mile round trip to centre of gravity wasn't the ideal time for the cars first outing so have delayed this until next spring now that the cars suspension has had time to bed in. I am sure Chris at COG will set it up nicely.

I know how it sounds though..... bloody awesome. :) The car is totally reliable. Starts everytime although i need to tickle the manual choke to squirt a bit of juice in. Might tinker with the cam timing to bring it on cam earlier.

Engine idle's lovely without stalling and i am very pleased that's the case.

Has been great catching up with good friends in the car recently, Goodwood, Bicester scramble and last week at the Castle. Long may it continue.

Dave
Image241743720_389257819454893_6537250403646486866_n by stretch1985, on Flickr
1998 C2 996 Kettle
Lightweight_911

Thanks for the update Dave - glad the car's proved to be reliable & that you're enjoying it.

Hope to take a closer look at it sometime ...

Andy

matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

A wonderful thread documenting your exemplary skills Dave to create such a stunning car, which is without doubt the unrivalled inspiration for mine. If mine can be half as good as yours I'll be very happy indeed (although I will be striving for accuracy, quality and detail at every stage - and getting it right first time, just as you told me!). Your guidance and advice, even at this early stage, have been invaluable and I shall I'm sure be calling on your font of knowledge many more times in the months and years ahead!
'72 T 210 2176 (ex-Hawaii donor car for '72 M491 2.5 SR)
'72 S 230 0347 (two-owner tangerine unicorn)
merbesfield
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by merbesfield »

Dave, your helping me with my seat belts prompted me to revisit this awesome build thread. What an amazing job you did. Brings back many memories.
Mark Erbesfield
1968 912 #12820385