The DDK Nationals

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

petric
DDK forever

Re: The DDK Nationals

Post by petric »

I am in Durham
73 911T coupe
Anta
DDK above all

Post by Anta »

RobFrost wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:07 pm As I see it there are two approaches which make most sense - split North/South, or a single Midlands event. North/South split would get closer to most people. Midlands is usually somewhere between Oxford and Warwick (Greatworth / Caffeine & Machine / Bicester / Boxengasse) - I've been to events in that vicinity a good number of times now and I'm happy to go again. But something North of Birmingham instead of South (e.g. right on my doorstep at Curborough 😉 ) would bring a Midlands event within range of more of the Northern members.
Rob as members I think we are allowed to rent course for private / no helmet runs. Can you recall the cost? Might be too complex to organise bit just wondering if possible to do that on say the Friday of race weekend so we get a bit if both? Can include a few beers then.

More generally I live Sutton Coldfield but am sat at work in Leeds so most options ok for me. Ireland too would be awesome but for me probably next year. Am driving 911 to Chamonix in June so that is enough roadtrip for 24.
Carrera 2.7 MFI 1974
Taycan 2022
993 C2 Coupe 1996 - SOLD
912 Coupe 1968 - SOLD
550 Spyder - SOLD
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

Anta wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:59 pm
RobFrost wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:07 pm As I see it there are two approaches which make most sense - split North/South, or a single Midlands event. North/South split would get closer to most people. Midlands is usually somewhere between Oxford and Warwick (Greatworth / Caffeine & Machine / Bicester / Boxengasse) - I've been to events in that vicinity a good number of times now and I'm happy to go again. But something North of Birmingham instead of South (e.g. right on my doorstep at Curborough Image ) would bring a Midlands event within range of more of the Northern members.
Rob as members I think we are allowed to rent course for private / no helmet runs. Can you recall the cost? Might be too complex to organise bit just wondering if possible to do that on say the Friday of race weekend so we get a bit if both? Can include a few beers then.

More generally I live Sutton Coldfield but am sat at work in Leeds so most options ok for me. Ireland too would be awesome but for me probably next year. Am driving 911 to Chamonix in June so that is enough roadtrip for 24.
Yes but a) it's pricey and b) no weekends available. I arranged once but cancelled due to lack of interest. But to be fair, I had a lot going on and I didn't have time to pin down 10 definites and get payment in advance. It's around £1k for the course for a day with insurance. And there were no weekends. A better bet would be for everyone to turn up on the members' track afternoon and join and participate on the day which is £45 all in!! That way it'd be a Saturday, plus no need to book in advance. Alternatively, just attend a sprint or some such event and watch / barbecue / swap parts on the field/parking. Those who have MSUK sprint cars could book into the sprint if they wanted. VSCC in May jumps out. The other one that's quite entertaining is the Charity day in August. You can get on the track then for £60 I think with no helmets required, but limited runs and limited spaces.

There's a Porsche only track day on Sunday 28th April which can be booked here: https://www.spod.club/ I think it's £120 but probably free to watch so we could meet then. Almost all events are free to watch and all events are free for members to watch (£35 membership).
Last edited by RobFrost on Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Loz
Married to the DDK

Post by Loz »

Loz
Kent.

(If I ever get this thing finished!)
1970 911t Coupe 2626

"I've started so I'll finish"
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

I hope this is still looking feasible……. Happy to help organise
kitten1
DDK slapper chatter

Post by kitten1 »

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: I just knew 2024 was going to be amazing.

Looking forward to this.

Also we have Silverfox & Abzadams
IN LOVE WITH MY 1970 911T RHD. (Still my fav)
1987 Carrera 3.2 Targa in Signal Orange (bloody gorgeous)
1973 914 1.7L Zambezi Green (great wee car)
2004 Cayenne 3.2 (the dogs car)
1965 356C (an absolute delight to own and drive)
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Has anyone plotted where those interested (as expressed on here) are located?

That might show the best venue area to be considered.

I imagine a 2 to 3 hour drive to a venue would be the limit for most, max of 6 hour journey in the day on UK roads sounds the max to me anyway.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

List to date;

Scotland
Boydyrs
Kitten1
bjmullan
210bhp

Ireland
anglophone1

County Durham
petric

Yorkshire
Hot66
70sThrowback

Norfolk
Bootsy
Greg356a

Warwickshire
Spit Nolan

Leicestershire
Markm
Nottinghamshire
Sladey
964RS
Ian2.2s
rhd racer
Ian Comerford
impmad2000

Cambridge
Sam

West Midlands
Lightweight_911
911 hillclimber

Staffordshire
Robfrost

Berkshire
Keith fellowes
yoda

Essex
SeanP
SimonR
Ghia70

Surrey
Jtparr
inaglasshouse

Kent
Loz

East Sussex
Ollie

West Sussex
Ignatzcatz
Stretch

Hampshire
PeterK
Cheddar
Jeremy G

Somerset
jwhillracer

Cornwall
KS

Looks like the most central point for all is somewhere in the Midlands, which makes sense when you think about it!
chris68
DDK slapper chatter

Post by chris68 »

Another vote for the midlands from me :)
'68 swb 911L
'62 Lotus 22
100cc Historic Karts
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

By far the majority appear to be in the east.

So East Midlands sounds preferable to west.

If only someone on here from the East Midlands had a suitably large, beautifully renovated barn in their garden.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

Is it worth asking next how many people would travel to an area in/around the East Midlands just to see how viable this is?
jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by jeremyg »

Where’s the East Midlands? 😬
Spit Nolan
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Spit Nolan »

jeremyg wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:11 pm Where’s the East Midlands? 😬

Leicester and Nottingham way. I’m happy to travel up from the Southern end of Warwickshire, no problem, Still not exactly far :lol:

Know of few more local ish to me that would come along too but won’t have seen this.
‘67 912 “Scruffy B*stard”
‘68 VW Bay Westy Campmobile - very original family camper.
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

jeremyg wrote:Where’s the East Midlands? Image
It’s where the cool cats live!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

I've driven from Hastings to Skegness and back in my '12 for a weekend so would be prepared to make the effort... 175-200 miles?