Harry's Garage video and the Electric Car in detail

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Harry's Garage video and the Electric Car in detail

Post by 911hillclimber »

For me, a very typical Harry video full of content and some facts to dwell on.
29 mins, but worth a full view imho.

https://youtu.be/nZysvgm2_Aw
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Harry's Garage video and the Electric Car in detail

Post by 70sThrowback »

I watched that too, I like Harry's take on things, he tries to remain unbiaised, but does give you his view on his real world experience. Same with his farm videos, how it can make more financial sense to not grow edible crops in a farm because of the way Government subsidies work is beyond me.
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I work in farming and that is replicated across the country…so much land being taken out of food production because of misguided environmental targets etc. But don’t worry, these organisations that have the ear of the govt don’t consider the environmental impact of importing food produced from the far flung corners of the world to standards that are well below the European ones because that’s ‘not our problem’ and we’ve hit out targets !
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

… related to the video, we run a full electric car and also a d300 powered defender. The d300 motor is brilliant
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Saw a snippet on a social of an academic who claimed that less than 5% of impact from food is due to the shipping & it wasn’t as important. Also rejecting that grass fed British beef is sustainable & still had very nasty impact. Comments were pointing out who funded the research org & the BS. That’s who has the ear of politicians.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

How come the Government seems so good at times at getting the wrong end of the stick?
They must be surrounded by Consultants on every subject on the planet, all motivated by some cause or other who have money to steer things(?), but some must give good advice??

Strongest point in Harry's video to me is all have lost sight of what the customer wants and or needs. If the customer is switching off EV then they will not get what they want.
Voting with your feet comes to mind.

2900Kg blocks with 600+ bhp with about 200 range or 150bhp hatches, 1200Kg and 400+ range?

Oh, and ability to 'refill' like a petrol.
Oh, and sub £25K max (new)

I believe the USA has stopped EV production as nobody is buying them.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Sam

Post by Sam »

I’ve decided not to worry about climate change as we’re about to go through such a dramatic realignment of capitalism that we’ll be too busy dealing with the fallout of that to begin to consider what may happen 20-30-50 years down the line.

Everything has got too expensive. Big business has got too greedy. Wages are so far out of line with retail prices it makes no sense. It’s all going to crash and burn.

I’m currently burying my expensive luxury cars in the garden so the rampaging proles don’t set them on fire when the uprising comes.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

Sam wrote:I’ve decided not to worry about climate change as we’re about to go through such a dramatic realignment of capitalism that we’ll be too busy dealing with the fallout of that to begin to consider what may happen 20-30-50 years down the line.

Everything has got too expensive. Big business has got too greedy. Wages are so far out of line with retail prices it makes no sense. It’s all going to crash and burn.

I’m currently burying my expensive luxury cars in the garden so the rampaging proles don’t set them on fire when the uprising comes.
Wouldn't surprise me if propserous European nations see civil war in the next 20 years, as global famine starts to affect us and political extremes become ever more polar. We don't have the level of indoctrination we used to have that produces uniform like-minded people.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

We are striving to reduce interaction with 'the system' as much as possible. Sold the all-done 'forever' house, moved to a place with some land to grow veg, its own water reservoir and a woodland (50 tonnes of wood already felled for heating). Solar and battery system going in. LPG tank for reserve heating. Electric cars charged off solar if we ever want to leave 'the compound'.

If you think the cost of living crises is bad, wait till we run out of food! Pretty much every farmer in Europe is being driven out of business due to imported food that does not meet the standards imposed on them. What is the point of reducing your own pesticide use and having rewilding programmes if the food that's coming in is farmed intensively using banned chemicals and labour that is essentially modern slavery?

All climate targets have been missed and the world is controlled by psychopath boomers. I'll close my gates and let everyone fight it out. Might sell cups of drinking water through a hole in the gate.
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

You might also want to consider an electric fence surrounding that land, some dogs, floodlights and a shotgun to protect those vegetables and water. Nothing motivates thieves more than a hungry belly and a dry throat.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

Ha, we have 6 ft fencing all the way round. At the moment its to keep the deer out but could certain be repurposed!
Sam

Post by Sam »

Jonny Hart wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:44 pm Ha, we have 6 ft fencing all the way round. At the moment its to keep the deer out but could certain be repurposed!
www.theguardian.com/former-autoelectrician-and- funk-deejay-dies-surrounded-by- his-14-wives-after-60-day-siege-at-his- doomsday-cult-compound/
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.