No NOVA documents.?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

No NOVA documents.?

Post by stretch »

I am interested to know if it's possible to check if the import duty has been paid on a vehicle if the seller has no Nova papers/number.? The owner of the car has a US title and various departure documents from the USA that were issued when leaving there shores. Strangely the owner can't remember if he paid anything back in the day. :roll: Any help with a phone number or any tips on the way forward would be much appreciated.

Dave
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: No NOVA documents.?

Post by KS »

Hi Dave

This link has all the info you need:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... -enquiries

Good luck

Keith
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
stretch

Post by stretch »

Thanks Keith. I don't want to declare i own it, so therefore I assume i can just call a number and ask if anything is due.? Car was imported in 2012..... I wonder what the import duty rate was back then and if nothing was paid would i be paying the rate applicable in 2012 or now. ? Looks like I'm in for telephone number merry go round. :lol:
1998 C2 996 Kettle
KS

Post by KS »

I'd try the webchat option first to see how you get on. Let us know! :)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

'

My guess is that the onus will be on you (or the seller) to prove that the appropriate import charge & VAT have been paid ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Lightweight_911 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:55 pm '

My guess is that the onus will be on you (or the seller) to prove that the appropriate import charge & VAT have been paid ...

Yes, agree. From recent-ish experience at time of UK registration application DVLA requires the NOVA docs / reference.

Dave, as you know, the rate for unmodified classic stuff is quite low. So if it's an oldie and was low value at time of import, might not be a deal breaker?
Also HMRC (who of course own the NOVA process) are quite good at record keeping, so you might find they have records even if vendor does not.

I suppose bottom line is: if you ask HMRC for status / evidence of duty payment and they don't come up with anything, that's the end of the trail, since that's what DVLA will want to see.
stretch

Post by stretch »

Hi Richard, you should know all the cars you bring in. :lol: :lol: I spoke with HMRC seems I need to re-import the car as they wouldn't tell me if duty has been paid. Kingstown will do this for £150.00 so not to bad .

Best regards
Dave
1998 C2 996 Kettle
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

I'm not sure why they wouldn't tell you. I know from experience you call them and they look it up.

Rules say you have to register it within a short period of time of the import so it may be worth checking if there are any penalties for leaving it longer.

If you re-import the car does this not make the duties due regardless? If you export it and reimport it yourself this may nullify that, but they may demand proof from you duties were paid last time and then issue a demand for the tax.

Best bet I'd say is get the importer to ask HMRC if he paid the duties. Or even to call them and ask for a duplicate of the Nova.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
stretch

Post by stretch »

Lets just say the bloke on the phone couldn't tell me. If i email them with the US title and export documents then they may tell me and all will be good. If there on the make then re-import is the option. Car purchase looks like it won't happen anyway as the seller has gone AWOL..... A La silent Dutch auction...... :evil: i won't swear it's to early. :)
1998 C2 996 Kettle
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Time to walk away?
Not sure you have any 'rights' to be told if duty is paid/NOVA doc issued to importer as it is not yours.

If the importer cannot provide this document then I would just walk away.
Just my take on this.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9