What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Re: What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by impmad2000 »

Have you got a photo of the other side ( drive side) of the fan ?
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Not sure if the fan is more efficient, but it does work 'just' about holding the engine temperature. All ok for the 50 seconds or less the engine run on WOT!

Pic of the other side:

Might be more interesting!

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

911hillclimber wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:53 amImage
Did you engineer this yourself? All very interesting!
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

No, not my handy work.
Designed (ledgend says) by 3 Porsche chaps in a pub! Jonathan on here know the full story, but Iirc Bob Garretson, Crispin Manners and one other ( the machinist) who I can't recall his name.
Only Crispin alive now possibly.

This was about 20 years ago. Jonathan may notice this post and correct me.

It was the main reason I bought the engine many years ago for the Lola, the engine choice was a Rover V8 or this one.

So pleased to have this unique engine even though I think it must swallow a lot of BHP to run it!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Bob Garretson's still alive (as far as I know) ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Ah..Maybe I'm thinking of Bruce Anderson?

Engine now all done (!)
Head stud torques all even and down to correct torque, none loose. Cam carrier bolts that I could reach all ok too.
All plugs the same colour and all leads etc nice and clean.

Parts on order to button it up.

When I did this engine and the time before I used M8 Dowty seals on the lower rocker cover bolts (this engine has bolts, not studs) and plain gaskets, all oil tight, so fresh Dowty seals ordered.

The chassis is next, but no Porsche content so will not bother anyone!

Hope to have it all back together by end of next week.

What a long time ago this was, measure an awful lot, cut once.

[url=https://postimg.cc/G9qMjtMP]Image
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
timothynevious
DDK Newbie

Post by timothynevious »

It's always a pleasure to delve into the history and engineering details of these remarkable Porsche engines. The story of how the engine design is said to have originated over a discussion among Porsche enthusiasts in a pub adds a touch of legend to the whole experience. With the passing of time, it's impressive that some of the original creators like Bob Garretson and possibly Crispin Manners are still around to witness the enduring legacy of their work.

Your meticulous work on the engine is a testament to the dedication that Porsche enthusiasts have in preserving the performance and heritage of these iconic cars. The engine's intricate details, from the head stud torques to the careful inspection of plugs and leads, highlight the craftsmanship and precision that goes into maintaining these vehicles.

It's also worth noting your choice of using M8 Dowty seals on the lower rocker cover bolts and plain gaskets to maintain oil tightness. This shows your keen attention to detail in ensuring the engine runs flawlessly. The Porsche community greatly benefits from the knowledge and experience shared in forums like this, where enthusiasts can learn from each other.

The timeline of this project, from measuring to cutting, is a testament to the patience and care required for such endeavors. Best of luck with getting your engine back together, and we look forward to hearing more about your progress.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Hmm.

I wonder what the likely timeline is from when the machines first started writing waffly comments on old Porsche forums to full sentience and inevitable human extinction.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thanks for the kind words Tim.
The engine was purchased (almost) from Terry Davidson who was Chair of the PCGB way back and 'commissioned' this engine from the 3 'pub designers'.
The engine and 915 box went into his sports race car, a super rare NOMAD which originally had a BRM engine, then a Ford V6 when Terry got the chassis. The car was sold without the Porsche engine to be re-united with the BRM engine/box.

That was a long time ago now, around 2008.
Terry sometimes comes to the hillclimbs we do and goes starry-eyed when he sees the engine again. :)

You have to keep on top of these cars, hence the details, and there is always means to improve things such as a the Dowty seals.

Engine all buttoned-up and going back into the car this rainy Thursday. I hope to get the who drive train done today but we will see.

Back in action I hope in April next year!

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Sam wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:34 am Hmm.

I wonder what the likely timeline is from when the machines first started writing waffly comments on old Porsche forums to full sentience and inevitable human extinction.
It's an interesting first post - I'll give you that!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Magnum
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Magnum »

:lol:

Exactly the same thing struck me, is that an actual person or a rogue AI bot that's taken an overly keen interest in our sub-culture. Or maybe just a combination.....which admittedly would be a relief because we have a few more years..........
Magnus

1972 3.2 RS lightweight. Still a bit scary...
1987 3.2 Carrera. Sold..
1972 Alfa 1750 GTV. Sold...
1971 911E in Silver. So lovely, sold..
1971 911S. sold....
1972 BMW CSL. Stupidly sold...
1968 Land Rover SIIa SWB..rusted in half...
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

timothynevious wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:19 am It's always a pleasure to delve into the history and engineering details of these remarkable Porsche engines. The story of how the engine design is said to have originated over a discussion among Porsche enthusiasts in a pub adds a touch of legend to the whole experience. With the passing of time, it's impressive that some of the original creators like Bob Garretson and possibly Crispin Manners are still around to witness the enduring legacy of their work.

Your meticulous work on the engine is a testament to the dedication that Porsche enthusiasts have in preserving the performance and heritage of these iconic cars. The engine's intricate details, from the head stud torques to the careful inspection of plugs and leads, highlight the craftsmanship and precision that goes into maintaining these vehicles.

It's also worth noting your choice of using M8 Dowty seals on the lower rocker cover bolts and plain gaskets to maintain oil tightness. This shows your keen attention to detail in ensuring the engine runs flawlessly. The Porsche community greatly benefits from the knowledge and experience shared in forums like this, where enthusiasts can learn from each other.

The timeline of this project, from measuring to cutting, is a testament to the patience and care required for such endeavors. Best of luck with getting your engine back together, and we look forward to hearing more about your progress.
Hi Tim and welcome to DDK. Where are you based and are you planning to attend any DDK meets in-person?
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Magnum wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:21 am :lol:

Exactly the same thing struck me, is that an actual person or a rogue AI bot that's taken an overly keen interest in our sub-culture. Or maybe just a combination.....which admittedly would be a relief because we have a few more years..........
Quick! Be nice to them - maybe they’ll choose who to spare based on which forums are most friendly.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Bootsy wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:04 am
Sam wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:34 am Hmm.

It's an interesting first post - I'll give you that!
Understatement. But kind.
Rust Never Sleeps
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I’ll give Timothy one chance to prove he’s a human being rather than an AI posting berk - if he doesn’t then a f*ck off notice will be served
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk