Porsche 914 with Petronix points MSD Install

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Porsche 914 with Petronix points MSD Install

Post by neilbardsley »

I installed my MSD this morning. The good news is that it started first time! Now the bad news. I don't appear to have a grey tach wire so I left my tachometer connected to the negative side of the coil but it doesn't work. I'm wondering if this unused spade connector is the tachometer connector and maybe I will need the adaptor?

Next it carries on running after I have turned the ignition off??

Diagram of my wiring included. Any ideas?

The other good news is that I can quickly return to the working setup which doesn't uses the msdImageImageImage

Sent from my 22011119UY using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911

Re: Porsche 914 with Petronix points MSD Install

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I think that male spade connector is the 'tach out' terminal - I'd try connecting your rev counter to that & if it still doesn't work you'll need to get hold of a tach adapter.

Did you also change the ignition coil to one of their 'Blaster' coils ?

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

You are correct. I've connected it up but still no luck. I've ordered a tacho adapter.

Now I need a proper way of connecting one spade connector to three others. Looks like this is the answer

On the over running. It appears I need a diode better the ignition and coil/msd to stop the car.

I havent bgt a MSD coil.

Car returned to previous setup runs and rpm worksImage

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I decided to solder the new join I had made to a spade connector. This way I hope to avoid being at the side of the road wondering what wire is loose.

I also found the diode that came with the MSD. I'm glad I bought a more robust one off eBay

ImageImage

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

All working. Just waiting for the cable tidies and hear shields. Maybe they are ugly but I've added wire labels so in the dark, beside a road I can regress to before.

Revs better. Starts better. Proper test drive soon. New spark plugs bought so I can gap them a bit more Image

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Little better. Test drive time Image

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

It drove very nice. I had a break and now I gapped, a little wider, some new plugs. Indexed them. IE pointed the opening towards the bottom in valve. It took 6 plugs to find the right one for the first plug.

Time for another test drive Image

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I thought I would report on the costs. It cost a bit more than I planned.

MSD 6a unit 175.32
Tachometer Adapter 101.36
3way Connectors 7.98
2way connectors 6.99
Diode 5.25
Heat shield 8.99
Bracket 15

Total cost 320.89