Megaphonics 23 | 5th Anniversary Edition

Any Porsche events or other related car events you know of please post them here

Moderators: hot66, Helen, abm914

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Megaphonics 23 | 5th Anniversary Edition

Post by KS »

I wish I could have made it but my only observations from the photos are, yes, some great cars but so static it's almost sad to see them sat there on pedestals when a trip to the Members' Meeting (or Le Mans Classic...), sees them (or similar) in action. The sound, the smells, the opportunity to look at them close up, inside the engine bay, the cockpit, etc - without that, they look like sad museum exhibits. A trip to Retro Classics (or Essen in its heyday) yields similar exhibits, but alongside a wide range of (non-Porsche) machinery, the mix appealing to me personally far more. It looks like it's trying too hard to be a rival to Luftgekühlt. Which is one reason why I like the more casual approach of Classics at the Castle.

But that's just me.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

Don't get me wrong, i think the show is a good one as i have gone along to everyone since it started. I didn't need to queue so avoided that one. Huge selection of cars to see and good to meet up with friends.
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

I had a 3 hour drive to then be met by a 45min queue. Not what I needed! However I perservered and really enjoyed the event. I can't think of another event in the UK where you will see so many aircooled Porsches together. Frank did a good job and to me its emulating LuftgeKuhlt in the static display and doing that well. Also Frank came up the road to check the queues about 11.30 and from that point we sailed in with nobody checking our tickets, I guess he made the decision just to let everyone in and speed it up. A good decision and one they need to think about next time.

On the food front, it was fine, I ate later about 2.30 and got a Gyro with no queue at all. Also no queue for a beer at the wriggly monkey bar

Saw a lot of cars I knew, but only chatted with Jonny. Forgot to even introduce myself, I was the one with the 912E and the guy with me who had the anniversary Turbo. Also had a nice chat with Harry Metcalfe. Would I go again next year, no, because I was on the road for 7 hours. Will I go agin, definitely. If I lived closer I would wait until 12.30/1 as there was zero queue.
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Megaphonics 23 | 5th Anniversary Edition

Post by matteo68 »

The ability to get up close and personal with some of these amazing cars as reference points for my project in between just hanging out with good friends and enjoying the cool vibe - what’s not to like?

Plus I met stretch at my first visit to Boxengasse two years ago - he was the one who set me on the road to build the best 2.5 ST recreation possible, so I have him to thank for sending me down the deepest rabbit hole known to man…

'72 T 210 2176 (ex-Hawaii donor car for '72 M491 2.5 SR)
'72 S 230 0347 (two-owner tangerine unicorn)
hmg66
DDK Fanatic

Post by hmg66 »

Arrived about 12.15 and drive past a couple of queue casualties:( No queues though as they obviously were not scanning tickets. I really enjoyed the vibe and the array of stunning air cooled cars was a sight to behold.

Some of the builds got me thinking I’m going to sell all my cars and build something similar. Maybe I’ll sleep on it :)
86 Guards Red Carrera 3.2
87 UR quattro
89 Guards Red 944 turbo
05 Guards Red 987 Boxster S
Anta
DDK above all

Post by Anta »

My experience is somewhat influenced by the fact as I hit the queue I had owned my car for 23 hours! To be honest it would have been tough to ruin my day!

A bit stressful setting off in pouring rain trying to get used to the box etc and finding out the handbrake is sub-optimal but an awesome day! They do need to sort the entrance as if nothing else the locals will lose humour…. Small team of ticket checkers walking up the queue whacking unique stickers on the screen or similar would work.

I do get the views on food etc, I guess the fact there were queues will influence them to invite (and be paid) by more vendors next year. I was truly staggered by the collection of cars in the ‘new building’ crazy collection of gear,

Also get Keiths point on it being a bit static, it very much was,,,,very cool but a bit sterile. Be great if they could find a way to perhaps have a curated / managed demo of cars. Not some random with a roving mic but I wonder if they could create some form of ‘live’. Be great to hear some of the race cars fire up etc.

I will definitely go next year. It is a young show and felt like they wee at 120% of what they planned for but they obviously have attention to detail so I am sure they will react to capture the opportunity.
Carrera 2.7 MFI 1974
Taycan 2022
993 C2 Coupe 1996 - SOLD
912 Coupe 1968 - SOLD
550 Spyder - SOLD
964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

KS wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:40 am I wish I could have made it but my only observations from the photos are, yes, some great cars but so static it's almost sad to see them sat there on pedestals when a trip to the Members' Meeting (or Le Mans Classic...), sees them (or similar) in action. The sound, the smells, the opportunity to look at them close up, inside the engine bay, the cockpit, etc - without that, they look like sad museum exhibits. A trip to Retro Classics (or Essen in its heyday) yields similar exhibits, but alongside a wide range of (non-Porsche) machinery, the mix appealing to me personally far more. It looks like it's trying too hard to be a rival to Luftgekühlt. Which is one reason why I like the more casual approach of Classics at the Castle.

But that's just me.
Agree entirely.

Cars on static display I find mind numbingly boring these days. Maybe we've just seen so many of these cars so many times over the years...it's of little interest now.
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

Anta wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:44 pm
Also get Keiths point on it being a bit static, it very much was,,,,very cool but a bit sterile. Be great if they could find a way to perhaps have a curated / managed demo of cars. Not some random with a roving mic but I wonder if they could create some form of ‘live’. Be great to hear some of the race cars fire up etc.

they did start some of the cars up, in the RS section and I think the ICON 917 too (though I wasn't there at that point)
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
BOXENGASSE
DDK Newbie

Post by BOXENGASSE »

The fully downloadable gallery for this year's 5th Anniversary edition of Megaphonics is now live on our website. https://www.boxengasse.com/m23

http://www.speedhunters.com/2023/08/box ... -paradise/

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/articl ... travaganza

A big thank you to everyone that took part!
Jeannie