Sunroof leak

A place for Impact Bumpers, 964 and 993 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Sunroof leak

Post by RobFrost »

My 1988 3.2 has a slight leak from the sunroof into the roof linings at the rear sides. The drain tubes are clear and water floods out through them into the channels next to the engine, when poured into the sides of the open sunroof. So the drain channels are good. But despite this, a little comes into the car with the result that the heat insulation under the back seats gets damp. I presume there is a short metal tube at the back of the sunroof space with this plastic pipe attached: https://www.design911.co.uk/p/porsche-9 ... 456492400/ , leading to the top corners of the engine compartment opening. And I presume it's the junction of the plastic and metal pipes at the back corners of the sunroof which is not watertight. Anyone got any experience water-tightening this junction- in terms of how to access, is it easy, does roof linig need removing etc.?
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
RobFrost

Re: Sunroof leak

Post by RobFrost »

Thanks. I had a scan. I doubt the 996 and 997 ones have much in common with an 88 3.2 but maybe the 993 does. I couldn't see any details re the junction between the body snf the hose.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

I should never have read this post because I thought, blimey, I've never checked these drain holes and I think I really ought to. So took the car out the garage, hit the sunroof switch - nothing, no sunroof. No no, the car does have a sunroof, it's just not working. I had a quick look, popped out the clock and speedo and was confronted by a right old mess of bodged up wiring plus the switch itself feels as if it has seen better days. I'm going to re - do the wiring and if I have no success obviously I shall have to delve deeper. Ugh, just hate 911 wiring.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Ignatzcatz wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:26 pm I should never have read this post because I thought, blimey, I've never checked these drain holes and I think I really ought to. So took the car out the garage, hit the sunroof switch - nothing, no sunroof. No no, the car does have a sunroof, it's just not working. I had a quick look, popped out the clock and speedo and was confronted by a right old mess of bodged up wiring plus the switch itself feels as if it has seen better days. I'm going to re - do the wiring and if I have no success obviously I shall have to delve deeper. Ugh, just hate 911 wiring.
Start the engine and get some revs up, then try. Mine moves better when the voltage is a touch higher!

Also, there's a clutch in the motor which can slip.