356 Sloppy gearshift ?

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

silverboydreamer
DDK addict

356 Sloppy gearshift ?

Post by silverboydreamer »

Do you have a sloppy gearshift or do you experience difficulty getting into gear?, over the last couple of years I had both when driving, I thought it was just wear and tear as the change was so gradual. After one particular trip when I found getting into 2nd gear particularly difficult I decided to look into problem and what I found really astonished me, no bushes on the knuckle joint, it’s positioned on the shaft in the back of the tunnel next to gearbox. The joint is easily overlooked as it’s hidden depending on the position of the gear you’re in, the pic shows what was left of the bushes, they had turned to powder!.
This is residue of bushes
IMG_0813.png
IMG_0813.png (77.16 KiB) Viewed 868 times
What the knuckle with complete with bushes looks like,
IMG_0814.png
IMG_0814.png (29.7 KiB) Viewed 868 times
Once the problem was found, I jacked up the rear and found it easy to get the knuckle out of the car ( important- mark the position of the knuckle shaft on the gearshift shaft before you do anything to make its alignment easier on reassembly)
Disassemble the pin from the shaft ( you need a big hammer and a long socket/tube to receive the pin into and to take pressure off the aluminium housing ), once done insert new bushes, put pin back in and put back into car.
The difference to the action of the gearshift is remarkable, it’s now a lot tighter with no sloppiness.
This joint is used on both 356 and 911 cars so take a look at your knuckle!.
Ausfahrt mine Auspuff
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 356 Sloppy gearshift ?

Post by roy mawbey »

Well done on posting that ! I have never never lost the easy gear change on my 'A' its just the same as when I bought it in the 60's! My late 356A has the 716 gearbox I wonder if they changed that from the previous earlier model? Of course over the years I have had the inspection cover on the tunnel off a number of times to check it all but never noticed any collection of bits of bushing etc. You did well to find it and advise the best way to replace that bushing. Its always great to hear and feel the difference after doing a repair like that! I wonder why yours failed age??

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
louis356
I luv DDK!

Re: 356 Sloppy gearshift ?

Post by louis356 »

Don't forget the other two! one on the selector shaft and the important one the cup at the bottom of the gearstick. That one stops your stick from being all floppy!
-Macs speed shop-
V dubs and Porsche tubs
87 924S (Now dead or is it?)
62 356 (Working on it!)
66 912 (Sadly gone - but have you seen the price of it!!)
Apal speedster (Sadly gone)
BSA Bantam in bits
A35 Race car in the making (peanutracing)