Window frame removal

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

leedurrant73
DDK rules my life!

Window frame removal

Post by leedurrant73 »

Hello guys. Need to get my frames re-anodised so got to remove them from front and rear window seals.

Any special way to do it without damaging ?
Going to run them to Nick soon. They are still in the seal and on the windows.

What are they like putting back in the front and rear window seals and on the windows.

What are the steps to take first?

Thanks Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1969 911t, eighth off the production line - B Series, Collecting Parts Again for Resto.
1984 Devon T25 VW Campervan, Back on the Road
1969 Italian Lambretta GP200. Tuned, (restored)
1967 Italian Lambretta SX150, 3 owner, 5 Speed, (Restored)
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Window frame removal

Post by Gary71 »

Do you mean the windscreen/rear window trim?

Most people just buy new if they are bad. Keeping them even vaguely the right shape whilst being polished and anodised will be very hard and I’d imagine the cost of doing so would exceed the new cost.

Are your windows out? You can’t get the trim out and back in again with them in the car.
leedurrant73
DDK rules my life!

Post by leedurrant73 »

Really oh?

I could probably live with my front ant rear trim but my door window trim and rear quarter needs work I think.

Yes all my windows are out. I want to try and get them ready to go back in now.

Thanks Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1969 911t, eighth off the production line - B Series, Collecting Parts Again for Resto.
1984 Devon T25 VW Campervan, Back on the Road
1969 Italian Lambretta GP200. Tuned, (restored)
1967 Italian Lambretta SX150, 3 owner, 5 Speed, (Restored)
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Door and quarter frames you can take apart and extract the glass to allow polishing and anodising. I couldn’t get my 1/4 windows out of the frames (all the fixings were seized) so had a change of plan and stripped them by hand (oven cleaner gets the original anodising off) then sanded and polished with increasing grades. Finally a buff and done.

Been like that since the rebuild with a few thousand miles in all weathers with no special care and still look just fine, no corrosive or tarnish.

PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

I replaced my front window trim. Much easier and probably cheaper than getting them replaced.

My Front window frames were re-anodised by Nick: http://www.early911.co.uk/html/alloy_trim.html. However, the screw thread inserts in the frame are steel which the anodising process dissolved. The inserts were not removed and replaced in the process, so they get masked and the result gives a partial reanodising. The bits that can be seen look good though.

Paul
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)