What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

louis356
I luv DDK!

Re: What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by louis356 »

I want to see the finished thing!

I was thinking of making one for my 356.

Keep upthe good work
-Macs speed shop-
V dubs and Porsche tubs
87 924S (Now dead or is it?)
62 356 (Working on it!)
66 912 (Sadly gone - but have you seen the price of it!!)
Apal speedster (Sadly gone)
BSA Bantam in bits
A35 Race car in the making (peanutracing)
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Just back from having the '80K' mile service done on my 987.2 2.9 Boxster.
Thought the experience might help a few!

I have had this slightly troublesome car since 2016, and before going on a very recent Euro Trip booked the car into Zuffenhaus, South Birmingham who have become by go-to independent for the last 4 years or so.
The car today was at 78.6K, so a touch early, but i thought the trip would be more miles than it turned out to be.
It was booked in for a minor service, a brake fluid change and a free-be handbrake adjust as it seemed a bit excessive in travel though works well.

On holiday I had a coil pack on #5 cylinder fail which was sorted in Austria, but I felt it right to fit all new 6 coils DIY despite reading how awkward it can be (I'm 71 now and a bit creeky.....) so not looking forward to that one.

Anyway, got there today, given a coffee and allowed to wait for the car. I asked, if they had time, to change the coils for me (I had 6 new ones to fit in the boot) and if the cost was not too bad.
I trust these people, never been ripped off.

Went into the workshop at 8.30am, came out at 10.45am all done and dusted including the coils changed and the old ones in the boot.
The coils changed readily as the wheels were off anyway, so well on the way to fitting them.

Zuffenhaus charged me just £45 to fit the coils! What a deal that is.
Service was 240 and the fluid 79, £350 all in ready to go.
Mike there (owner) knows this car well and how sensitive it is to oil level and white smoke, so the refil was very carefully done.

Drove home a treat. Back on E10 now the fast road trip is over and Boxster life is back to normal.

I have no affiliation to Zuffenhaus, just a happy customer and love the simple straight forward no fuss approach, Drive in, chat about the state of the car, wait, pay, drive home.

That indeed will do Nicely.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

Thanks for sharing - great to hear your good experiences.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
rich73
Married to the DDK

Post by rich73 »

Trip to the surrey Hills today.

Image2023-07-13_05-29-29 by richard cannings, on Flickr
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Great use of the tea tray
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Primed the bumpers on project Boxster - nearly ready for an MOT and first run in the road since the engine blow….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Please send hugs. Image

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Know EXACTLY how that feels having had the flats round off on my tiny sump plug on my 3.2.
Real fight to get it off.
New one is made from steel, not cast iron.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Not really my cup-of-tea but went to a local car chow at Apley Farm Estate just into Shropshire today with some friends.
Despite the rain saw some great cars and home for the wife to watch the Men's finals. Brownie points or what!

The 996 was part of our group, never ever ever seen such a perfect 996 before.

Oddly, the 911 drew a fair bit of attention. Not normal.

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

I've been diagnosing a rough idle on my 3.2 for about 4 weeks now. I finally scoped the idle valve today with the car running and determined all is working.

The idle control valve has a 12V supply and two switched earths, one which opens it and one which closes it. They cycle 100 times a second and the duty cycle ranges from 30% open to 30% closed depending on revs.

Attention turned to the very last component of the system I hadn't ruled out, the O2 sensor.

Even the chisel didn't free the nut, and i was afraid of chiseling the cam cover so I resorted to the never fail, weld a socket on.

It was so tight I had to turn to the double extension bar. I was afraid I might rip the exhaust off. And it stayed that tight turn after turn.

When it finally came off I found the new O2 sensor cable wasn't long enough. I think this job was really sent to test me. But i persisted, I had to cut the grommet and re-bind the wire and I did finally get it in. And guess what? The car finally runs like a dream. Idling perfectly and much smoother at low throttle.

I suspect this also accounts for the MOT emissions difficulties I've had in the past. I took the car out for a spirited drive and it was such a relief to finally get it resolved, I felt like opening a bottle of champagne.

rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Good work Rob

93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

911hillclimber wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:03 pm Not really my cup-of-tea but went to a local car chow at Apley Farm Estate just into Shropshire today with some friends.
Despite the rain saw some great cars and home for the wife to watch the Men's finals. Brownie points or what!

The 996 was part of our group, never ever ever seen such a perfect 996 before.

Oddly, the 911 drew a fair bit of attention. Not normal.

It’s the Webasto/Britax roof that draws them in, I tell you!

John
sladey

Post by sladey »

RobFrost wrote:I've been diagnosing a rough idle on my 3.2 for about 4 weeks now. I finally scoped the idle valve today with the car running and determined all is working.

The idle control valve has a 12V supply and two switched earths, one which opens it and one which closes it. They cycle 100 times a second and the duty cycle ranges from 30% open to 30% closed depending on revs.

Attention turned to the very last component of the system I hadn't ruled out, the O2 sensor.

Even the chisel didn't free the nut, and i was afraid of chiseling the cam cover so I resorted to the never fail, weld a socket on.

It was so tight I had to turn to the double extension bar. I was afraid I might rip the exhaust off. And it stayed that tight turn after turn.

When it finally came off I found the new O2 sensor cable wasn't long enough. I think this job was really sent to test me. But i persisted, I had to cut the grommet and re-bind the wire and I did finally get it in. And guess what? The car finally runs like a dream. Idling perfectly and much smoother at low throttle.

I suspect this also accounts for the MOT emissions difficulties I've had in the past. I took the car out for a spirited drive and it was such a relief to finally get it resolved, I felt like opening a bottle of champagne.

Nice work
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Rob:
I welded a spanner to the plug and oddly it held until it surrendered with a crack. Torque applied using my trolley jack...
Jeff
Good to see you are still looking in!
It is the colour followed closely by the silencer with it's 3 outlets, 2 capped off for the road, 3 open sounds great, but only to me it seems..
And certainly not the Wife who was with me yesterday at the show and even more oddly, enjoyed it!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

Organised a trip for the Yorkshire TIPEC group on Sunday. The day started with a very wet run to the Carding Shed in Holmfirth for breakfast. Worth a trip out on its own, great food and service, but also full of car memorabilia.

We then drove across the Pennines taking in the cat and fiddle, hope valley and winnats pass before heading to Belper to the Great British Car Journey. If you haven’t been it’s well worth a visit. The interactive audio guide is really good.

Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper