Heavy duty friction plate choice, 915 trans.

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Heavy duty friction plate choice, 915 trans.

Post by 911hillclimber »

The non Sach driven plate on my hillclimb Lola race car is about at the maximum now the engine is 300/310 bhp and torque about 260/280 lbft

The cover plate is an aluminium Sach and the flywheel a very lightweight unit from Chris at Fenn Lane some years back. I am experiencing sometime a small degree of clutch engagement slip going from full WOT in 2nd to 3rd uphill.
Bite off the start line is good, (1G) and no slip from WOT 1st to 2nd. when 2nd is engaged the revs are about 4500 when 2nd is engages. I change gear around 7000 rpm.

There seems to be little choice available. I don't want to change the whole clutch to (say) a twin/tripple plate with solid centre, I feel the road spec friction plate cushions the very harsh changes a bit.

Is the road spec Sache clutch man enough for this engine/ application?
I think there is a Heavy duty centre plate on Design911 but that is rated at 350 Nm ( 260lbft).

Not sure about Helix road going driven plate, so thought i would ask on here first.

The car weighs 560Kg but has the stickiest slicks too, hence 1G acceleration from standstill.

I need to preserve the flywheel from slippage damage.

picture by Charlie
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9