Road tripping to the Dolomites

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Road tripping to the Dolomites

Post by sladey »

70sThrowback wrote:I love reading reports like this, keep them coming. On the B500, on a trip to Stuttgart a couple of weeks ago it was the worst road we went on. It was a tick in the box, I knew I would be disappointed and it had cameras, but I couldn't believe the last few miles into Baden Baden it was 50kph. So boring!
As mentioned above some of us had one of the best drives of the week on the final run in to baden Baden.

It was this run up from Forbach up the hill and down the other side into Baden Baden

At that stage I was just driving with ian (2.2s) and we had a clear run up and down. Rough, bumpy, and very very twisty. Epic.
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Road tripping to the Dolomites

Post by Winston Teague »

I'm also curious about how the various specs of car compare to each other on a trip like this....power to weight, out and out power, early cars vs ib vs later, tyre profile vs surface bumps pot holes etc, and of course motorway slogs. Obvs the long bonnet cars are waaaaasy cooler, and that is all the really matters, but tell all please!
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

So, how much did the whole trip cost per person? (Ferry round-trip, hotels, petrol, food, everything)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

You must never ask such questions 😂
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
964RS

Post by 964RS »

IanM wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:24 pm So, how much did the whole trip cost per person? (Ferry round-trip, hotels, petrol, food, everything)
20% of what they all told their wives...... :lol:
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

sladey wrote:
70sThrowback wrote:I love reading reports like this, keep them coming. On the B500, on a trip to Stuttgart a couple of weeks ago it was the worst road we went on. It was a tick in the box, I knew I would be disappointed and it had cameras, but I couldn't believe the last few miles into Baden Baden it was 50kph. So boring!
As mentioned above some of us had one of the best drives of the week on the final run in to baden Baden.

It was this run up from Forbach up the hill and down the other side into Baden Baden

At that stage I was just driving with ian (2.2s) and we had a clear run up and down. Rough, bumpy, and very very twisty. Epic.
We took a quick route upto Baden Baden but it was laden with traffic so wasn’t very quick and then the kids in the group wanted to stop & play when they saw this

72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

IanM wrote:So, how much did the whole trip cost per person? (Ferry round-trip, hotels, petrol, food, everything)
I’ve not even added it up and won’t :)
I’d planned to take one pic for each tank but stopped about half way through…

IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Gary71 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:10 pmI’d planned to take one pic for each tank but stopped about half way through…
So, about 18 tanks?
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Costs .. not as bad as you might think ..

based on a single person :

ferry overnight £460 return

hotels :
day 1 Ulm : £81
day 2 Kaprun: £85
day 3 Canazai : £65 1/2 board
day 4 Canazai : £65 1/2 board
day 5 Au : £113 1/2 board
day 5 Baden Baden : £180

Food & Fuel are variables depending on car etc and how big your belly is. Ultimatley fuel was the biggest single cost though

It took me a lot of work to find nice places that could accomodate 15 people , have good parking and be well priced. Both 1/2 board palces were a a bargain. We booked early though. Spot price on the day was at least double
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I think the real answer to your question is - you can't put a price on a trip/experience like that ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Lightweight_911 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:27 pm .

I think the real answer to your question is - you can't put a price on a trip/experience like that ...

Youre right Andy .. it was priceless . I'm from Yorkshire though :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

hot66

Post by hot66 »

Winston Teague wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:33 pm I'm also curious about how the various specs of car compare to each other on a trip like this....power to weight, out and out power, early cars vs ib vs later, tyre profile vs surface bumps pot holes etc, and of course motorway slogs. Obvs the long bonnet cars are waaaaasy cooler, and that is all the really matters, but tell all please!
Very difficult to compare as most were in long term ownership cars and happy with their choice. I was running my 964 on modified suspension but stock 17" wheels with fresh tyres. Motor is standard apart from a g-pipe. IMHO, you wouldnt want anything bigger than a 964 / 993 for these roads, For me , a 964 is perfect. Right mix of torquey motor, fun handling with not too much grip yet comfy for the long mileage days . Would have been even better if Id remembered to get the aircon re-gassed before setting of :roll: On these roads its not really a horse power race and generally all the cars performed within a similar bracket.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

As the least powerful car there it was all good, just as long as you accept you will not be keeping up! Most of the time it’s fine, but the sneaky uphill overtakes between hairpins just don’t happen.

Also stability at 200kmh was getting a bit questionable…

So obviously half way through the drive I’m considering how to get another 50hp and tie the chassis down a bit… but ultimately I won’t as it’s never an issue during normal driving, just in the extremes of autobahns and steep alpine passes.
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

I think that is going to always be my dilemma on a euro trip. My 912E is a 2.2, so great for twistys etc, but on the autobahn some of the guys I was with were doing 130mph+ (in water pumpers), due to ongoing issues I was in the Boxster so could keep up. In the E there is no way and I would have been miles and miles behind.
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Just have to let them go, you always catch up (eventually!).

The quicker cars on our trip would have a bit of a squirt on the autobahn, but we all got back together. Primarily at the side of the road after JP lost a rear tyre… Image