Wobbly wing mirror

A place for Impact Bumpers, 964 and 993 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

auf wiedersehen pete
DDK Newbie

Wobbly wing mirror

Post by auf wiedersehen pete »

Hi all... does anyone have a quick fix for my wobbly wing mirror? It blows down over 30mph... common problem?
Cheers, Pete

PS I'm not talking metaphorically!
Attachments
wing_mirror.JPG
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Wobbly wing mirror

Post by 911hillclimber »

Mine has been like that to a similar degree, but once set will just about stay put. Best is to take it apart (hard) and tighten the spring loaded M5 or M5 nut at the root of the mirror/base. You can't get to the nut from under the base and iirc the nut to be tightened is behind the mirror.

A quick fix that Might Work would be to position it correctly by driving on the road.
Wash the mirror/base joint with a good degreaser, ie alcohol, dry and apply a clear silicon sealant bead around the joint. Allow to set-up over night, and try that. The clear bead will be out of sight to a good degree.

Let us know!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

I read a tip of putting in the correct position and then doing something similar to the above but with superglue. Downside of this is if you ever need to adjust it again. Mine on the passenger side still drops and tbh I never use it anyway, so its just purely cosmetic now.
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Mine has slots cut in the nut, accessible from the back of the door mount, for tightening with sharp nose pliers. Mirror has to come off anyway, so you will see if this is the case...
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Just as a follow-up on this:
I set my weak driver's mirror correctly an applied a good bead of silicon 'glue' around the mirror/base joint.

Left it for 24 hours to cure.

Drove the car today and it is really stable, no need to adjust the mirror on the go.

Glue can be cut with a sharp knife if needs be.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9