More scary cr@p from DVLA

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: More scary cr@p from DVLA

Post by KS »

This very ambiguous reply has been doing the rounds for some while, I've learned. It's almost as if there was a ministerial template in use to reply to such enquiries, even if the minister has no knowledge – or, dare I say, interest – in the subject.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Lightweight_911 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:33 pm .

The category 'reconstructing a classic' is that which is/should specifically be used for someone building an accurate/authentic ('toolroom' ?) replica of a classic - usually a sportscar - such as Lotus Seven/Eleven, Jaguar D-Type, Ferrari 250 GTO, etc where parts (either original or accurate repro) come from numerous different sources so that the finished car doesn't have an existing identity - hence the need for an IVA in order to register it.

^^One of the best posts on this thread. Thanks.
Last edited by IanM on Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KS

Post by KS »

And sadly DVLA has seen fit to revoke V5c documentation in the case of vehicles which DO have an identity, forcing them to go through IVA (and get a 'Q'), when said vehicle is deemed to have been modified beyond acceptable limits. What DVLA won't tell us is what those limits are... It varies according to which page you look at: MOT exemption, Historic status, etc.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

Just an FYI : I made contact with MSA (or whatever thay are called these days). Got a direct call the next day (they must have my number in their comp licence database) - from ? Tech senior person . too complex a response to email me (or they did not want to put things in writing ?). They are well aware of this issue - wheels are turning in a more indirect way than starting WW3 . "Action" via the organisation which has already been mentioned in this thread , legal and professional help being routed through them - semi direct from MSA , but without them adding fuel directly to the fire so to speak. Keep head down and carry on was my take.
I will watch progress quietly from sidelines for now ....................
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
KS

Post by KS »

That's about all anyone can do right now as DVLA resolutely refuse to give any official indication of their true intent until the completion of their review, supposedly later this year. However that hasn't stopped them taking action against some cars/people regardless... You'd think there would be a moratorium until they completed the review, but seemingly that's too much to ask.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Talking to a few people closer to this situation over the weekend, it appears there are a lot of actions but the DVLA will not participate in any dialogue, so no progress to getting things sorted.
I'm surprised just how well informed those with Classics are about all this.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Although not really relevant to Porsches, I've just heard about another disconcerting problem when attempting to register a vehicle imported from South Africa.

Recently posted on another forum (Lancia):

"Hi,
When dealing with DVLA be VERY VERY careful, they are a complete PITA and a law unto themselves. You may have a letter from the SA DVLA stating the car was made from PARTS. IF DVLA see this your car will never be registered as they will insist the car does not exist as it was made up from parts of lots of different cars. You can plead that the car was a complete kit from Italy but they will not listen.
I have an Alfa and a member of the Alfa Club made this mistake with a 1970 GTV from SA. That was 3 years ago and still no car."

"As DVLA liaison for the Club I can confirm that Spider2 is correct on this. I had a member who submitted his original South African 'V5' equivalent which on one line said 'Built Up', referring I'm sure to the Fulvias being assembled by Daihatsu from CKD kits. The DVLA person became convinced that this meant what Spider2 states above, or at best a kit car. I sent in a club letter explaining the high import tariffs in 1970s South Africa and the full CKD process but DVLA were having none of it. To the best of my knowledge this Fulvia remains unregistered."

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Plenty of cars from that era were ckd so going to effect more than just these Italian cars
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

This shows the single mindedness of the dvla in every way to Classics.
Seems they can make any rule they wish even when the situation is clear cut, these car are correct!

What is the bottom line?
No classic cars sooner than later.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

What is CKD?
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

CKD = "completely knocked down" - facilitating the importation of vehicles in component form (completely knocked down) in easily transportable packing cases for assembly in the market for which they are destined...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Sam

Post by Sam »

Reckon your Lancia chums would crowd fund a legal challenge Andy? Once faced with a five figure bill for loss of value and loss of enjoyment I bet the DVLA would soon back down.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Lightweight_911 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:29 pm CKD = "completely knocked down" - facilitating the importation of vehicles in component form (completely knocked down) in easily transportable packing cases for assembly in the market for which they are destined...

Thanks.
simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Post by simon james »

Interestingly The Late Brake Show on YouTube shows “new” 2cv vans that are electric. The one Johnny drove is on a “G” (1989) plate and still showing on DVLA as a 602cc petrol.
I initially thought that the root of the issue with DVLA may have been Tax Free related.
Now I’m not so sure.
The guy building the 2cv was proud to proclaim that all the parts were new, so surely that Logbook cannot legally be used?
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I think it just underlines what KS stated before, these conversions are not advised to DVLA, but there are sections in the V5:

The V5 has a field for:
Section 4
Type of Fuel, ie Petrol. I suppose you should change that to 'Electric'.
Cylinder Capacity...(say) 2400 cc to 'Electric'
Engine number, from the IC engine to 'electric motor' number

Section 10
Some details repeated from Section 4.

As son as you request these changes, I'm sure DVLA will take action. (resulting in Q plate if used on the UK highway)

I hope some dialogue is underway by now with the DVLA....
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9