1970 LH chrome door handle

After a set of 11's? Post your wanted adverts here.

Moderator: Miggs

Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

1970 LH chrome door handle

Post by Ian 2.2S »

Good morning all.
The trigger on my LH door handle has broken (doesn't spring out) so can't open from outside. I haven't dismantled it yet because I'm using it tomorrow. But I am assuming a part has broken.
Anybody got a good used one? I guess alternative is to buy repro form Rose Passion or similar.
Thanks Ian
hot66

Re: 1970 LH chrome door handle

Post by hot66 »

Ian … links in this thread to when mine broke

1971 door handle trigger
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

Thanks James. I've found at replacement trigger at Design 911, but it is quite costly compared to buying new handles. I might just go for full replacement as there is some pitting on handles and I don't yet know how many bits are broken/worn.
Ian
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

ian, i have a box full of door handles/parts/triggers etc somewhere in the garage.... i can have a look tomorrow.....
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

Thanks Dougieboy. That would be very helpful.
I haven't dismantled yet, but I'm sure the trigger pivot is broken and possibly problems with the spring and pin.
Not sure where you are based, I'm Nottingham, but driving to see some friends near Windsor for a couple of days - put some miles on before Alps trip.
Won't have access to PMs, but here is my mobile - oh 797 oh 510 oh 531.
Cheers, Ian
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

try again :? oh 797 oh 51 oh 531
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

ian, didnt manage to get to the garage today and am heading to sweden first thing tomorrow. Back on friday. I am pretty sure i had a similar issue and it was related to a push rod/pivot inside the handle. But you wont know until you take the handle off. Not sure i have a spare one of the rods.....

will let you know over the weekend.
1972 911S
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Be careful if you purchase a used handle, as there appears to be two different LWB designs which look the same on the outside, but differ on the inside (including different lever mechanisms).

I purchased another door handle years ago to replace one with a snapped lever. Unfortunately, I found out (years) later that the one I had purchased looked identical on the outside, but was slightly different on the backside to my original pair (1973). The part numbers and manufacturer (DOM?) stamps are identical, even though there are significant differences on the backside.

Most notably, the lever assemblies are completely different and not interchangeable. The wider one (left and middle of picture, assuming this is later version) can be purchased from the States in chrome or black (I think I am going to order one if anyone wants to join me and save on postage). Someone else posted the link here.

The sided L or R lock pivots must also be different I think, although I only have my original type so cannot be 100% certain. My original handles have a recess for the pivot to sit in - presumably, this holds the spring up away from the gaps. The other handle does not have this groove, so my lock pivots are proud by about 1mm. I think a spacer might be needed between the back of the lever and the end of the lock cylinder to enable the key to rotate freely, but I have not confirmed this.

I just photographed the differences for anyone interested.

Can anyone say when the design changed, or any other intel?
Anyone know where to obtain the brass tumblers for coding the locks, or have any? Interestingly, my tumblers are different L (numbered 1-3) and R (not numbered) but the key works on both, and the ignition!?
DoorHandleDifferences.JPG
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

sorry, have drawn a blank =- i know i have some but i cant find the box.... looked everywhere :(
1972 911S
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

No worries, thanks for looking.

I've found it is the spring pin mechanism casting that is broken.

As bits aren't always interchangeable, as Deano says, decided to go for a new pair by Classic Line.

Cheers.
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

I purchased the trigger replacement from Rennspeed in the states. Unfortunately it does not fit my handles - note the differences. Rennspeed claim that they have sold many and only one other buyer told them it does not fit - also a 73' car. Although seemingly unlikely that the design was changed for that short period, anything is possible. They kindly offered to sell me a new handle to match their trigger :P

Does anyone have a handle on the shelf with this kind of lever - is it flat or rounded please and do you know what year car it came off?
RennspdTrigger.JPG
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

I don't know if this will be of help to you, but I recently fitted repro handles to my hot rod and I found the shape to be off. Either the metal distorted during casting, or more likely they didn't think to allow for the thickness of the chrome and nickel plating, when designing the casting.

There's a 2-part lever which screws to the end of the key barrel, which transfers the turning of the key to the door locking mechanism. It has a disc standing proud which seats into the casting.

The cylindrical receiver in the casting, into which this disc seats, was too small to receive the lever. I fixed this with a little cylindrical burr / file attached to the end of my drill.

Next, when I had everything reassembled and tried to bolt the handles into the car, I found the nut wouldn't tighten, again I think this was chrome and nickel plating in the threads. So I had to disassemble and tap the doorhandle threads before reassembling.

If you check these before fitting, it might save you some time.

Finally, my original handles had two different types of the lever spring assembly. I've no idea which was original, but one had a threaded rod with a nut on the end which could be used to effectively adjust they length of the rod. The other did not. The salient point here, is that these two rods interfaced with the trigger itself differently and these were not interchangeable so don't assume triggers will work with mechanisms they didn't come with.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.