Correct metal for linkage

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

I'm still completely failing to cut a thread on the rod I bought to create a linkage rod for my 914. I've filled the end in hope it will take. I've applied heat. I've even bought another die set as the rod eat the first one. It just will not cut. I can only conclude I have too hard a metal, like, stainless steel. I need a 5mm to rod in metal I can cut. Anybody know where I can get this?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

Last edited by neilbardsley on Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Gary71

Re: Correct metal for linkage

Post by Gary71 »

Might sound a bit random but B&Q have a rack of steel rods, section, etc and you can guarantee that won't be anything other than the mildest of steels
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

What’s the outside diameter of the rod. Bit hard to tell from the photo but it looks like more than 5mm? If it is, a die will not be happy, it isn’t designed to reduce the OD & only cut threads into the surface.

What length & thread do you need?
A short length with left & right hand threads on each end? Or just normal thread on both ends?

You can buy lengths of thread, up to around a metre, on eBay.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I ordered 5mm but I haven't measured it. Do you have a link for the threads on eBay?

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

From memory linkages are M5, easy enough to use M5 thread bar and cut to length. Put the nut on before cutting, once cut to length back the nut off and it will remove any loose bits of metal from the cut...finish of with the small file.

I made something similar and put some heat shrink on the "exposed" middle area, so not to foul on anything.
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

If you want m5 right hand thread then you easily source from eBay (the advice above on cutting is spot on). However often a linkage will have a reverse thread on one end so the link changes length when you rotate it (without disconnecting the ends). That’s a bit trickier to source.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Yes I've bought a LHS thread die to cut the otherside

Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

How long does the rod need to be?
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Sorry I'm not exactly sure. I was going to measure it properly after getting one side threaded. About 35-60cm

Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

Error!
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

I found some rods with matching left / right threads but only up to 90mm. A bit short for you.

Another option is a turnbuckle like this (M5x80)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25454416451 ... media=COPY

Add to that a length of left hand threaded rod and a right hand threaded rod. Cut those to half the required length and fit the turnbuckle in the middle.

Just a different option.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Probably not what you want to hear Neil but you can get various lengths of 5mm linkage rods (for not much money) from Eurocarb:

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/product-cate ... age-parts/

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

That might be the solution Andy.

This is on the back burner as I ready the 356.

However, I had to cut more LHS thread one of the 356 rods (to shorten it). It cut fine so at least I know I'm not being a complete Muppet.

Sent from my 22011119UY using Tapatalk