'73 T wiper function questions

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Re: '73 T wiper function questions

Post by PMNorris »

FYI - You might find my youtube video useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiYcRqoffDw. Its for a 70T, so includes intermittent, but covers the wiper topic quite broadly.

Paul
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thank you for that, FAR more complex than what I've done!

Got my new dash switch over the weekend, so converted the small modern pull knob to one far larger and in keeping with the period of the car andwired it all permanently in.
It works, so good, but the wiper parking is changed.

I eventually put this down to oiling the wiper arm pivots.

With the wiper arms off the car the wipers will run continuously once switched on!

Have finally found a wiper position that is as close to the base of the screen as I can get.
I hope the parking position will improve as the fresh oil displaces itself.

Disconnecting the new relay made no difference to this parking position, so must be the lubrication.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

The other element of the use case of get water off the windscreen is the wipers.

For the "right" look I've got 13 inch bog standard Bosch wipers.

For the I actually want to move a lot of water and remove bugs with some help with the squirters Bosch Aerotwins

Yes they look a bit fugly on the 911 and yes they don't quite wrap the whole screen as they aren't sprung but for the inch and a half one blade misses at the end of the stroke they more than make up for it.

Put on to go to Spa and worked like a champ in the rain on the motorway and for shifting bugs (much better than the other ones as I found out the other day after smearing all sorts of dead stuff over the screen).

The only downside to having a completely clear screen in the lashing rain on the motorway is that it may encourage you to go a bit quicker than you might normally go.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Best I up-date this thread!
Irritated by the parking of the wipers and convinced it was the lubrication, I took all the blower box back out of the car to get to the wiper mechanism.
Piled straight in and drowned the arm joints with brake cleaner, did a good job of them.
Tried the parking again, no difference.
Then noticed ( :oops: ) the parking wire was off it's terminal. Must have been dislodged when fighting the blower box back in first time.

With that reconnected i have the wiper arms parked on the base of the screen better than a new AUDI A6, reliably, every time all the time.

Keen to get the car back together and take it out for a trip with the wife (!) it was another fight with the blower box, but wipers all ok. HOWEVER, lost the intermittent wipe. Wipers simply move from the new parked position to 30 degrees up the screen and stop dead. fuse ok, operating the wipers restores everything to normal.

So, bugger it, will delay wipe by hand. All a waste of time and £25, but that is how it goes.

Maybe later in the year I'll have another go.

The car is running fabulous and has a 1 day old fresh MoT so all is good.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9