Emerging from hibernation

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

VeeRacer
DDK Seasoned Poster

Emerging from hibernation

Post by VeeRacer »

First steps taken to bring the 356 out of winter hibernation: refurbished driver’s seat (thanks to Garry at Classic FX trimmers) fitted, and the engine fired up after 6 months sat idle (and without flattening the 6v battery- yay!). Looking forward to getting back out on the road for the upcoming events over the spring & summer. Hope to see some of you out and about.
Image2614884C-4D0C-4CDB-B944-F22C0C06A552 by Vee Racer, on Flickr
Image60899F30-A1A8-497C-BF7D-BB9A82BF825A by Vee Racer, on Flickr
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Re: Emerging from hibernation

Post by Hugo 356 »

Looks fab Peter. Are you racing this season?
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Looks great Peter, given you're so close I must see it in the flesh!

Looks like Gary has done a fine job too.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
VeeRacer
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by VeeRacer »

Hugo 356 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:55 am Looks fab Peter. Are you racing this season?
Hi Hugo,
Thanks for that.
That’s certainly the plan. Unfortunately I’ve still got a bit of work to do before we get back out on track…
Image53BBABF8-B141-46D6-AA45-341F73963CA6 by Vee Racer, on Flickr
ImageECA1F9E0-A7A5-4128-B298-F40116961327 by Vee Racer, on Flickr
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

-
Well if you ever need an audience for a Formula Vee racer's thread I'm sure we can help out in that department :wink:
maverick
noun
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

I'd be very interested to see more......

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
VeeRacer
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by VeeRacer »

hashman wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:41 pm I'd be very interested to see more......

Karl
Not sure exactly what it is you’d like to see more of Karl, but I’m sure I’ve got plenty left to show. Let me know and I’ll be happy to keep the story going. Thanks
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

I would love to see anything thing to do with the formula vee race car, or am I being stupid and jumping to conclusions.
I've probably got the wrong end of the stick as usual..... :lol:

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Is that an adaptor in the oil pump cover for an external cooler?

I think I'm right in saying no air fans in Formula Vee so you try to channel air over the heads and use an external oil cooler?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
VeeRacer
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by VeeRacer »

hashman wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:45 pm I would love to see anything thing to do with the formula vee race car, or am I being stupid and jumping to conclusions.
I've probably got the wrong end of the stick as usual..... :lol:

Karl
No, not jumping to conclusions at all Karl, and happy to share more if anyone is interested. I do as much of the work on it as I can, including engine builds. The chassis is also a bit of a one-off, as I modified the front & rear suspension of an existing car to incorporate some of my own ideas. It certainly keeps me busy, but also puts a smile on my face.
Here’s a couple of pics to start…
ImageE1AA866F-7CFB-4382-BF76-71B4703FACEB by Vee Racer, on Flickr
ImageA6C399DA-97E9-44A2-A211-F32250D9F1E4 by Vee Racer, on Flickr
This was the engine on removal from the chassis at the beginning of the year (it had sat, unused, in the car all last year as I didn’t race and hence the surface corrosion). Unfortunately I’m still waiting for final parts to be finished machining before I can complete the rebuild, re-install and get it back out on track. Shouldn’t be too long now 🤞
VeeRacer
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by VeeRacer »

neilbardsley wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:24 pm Is that an adaptor in the oil pump cover for an external cooler?

I think I'm right in saying no air fans in Formula Vee so you try to channel air over the heads and use an external oil cooler?

You are correct Neil. The crankcase is effectively bare (no fan shroud or oil cooler etc) and it runs a total loss electrical system (no alternator/generator). The most critical thing on a Formula Vee installation is cooling; sufficient air for the cylinder heads (lots of clever ducting), twin, externally mounted oil coolers on my car (maximising surface area but minimising drag), and I also pay close attention to trying to keep the central carb cool as it sits inside the engine cover. We also run separate, remote oil filter.
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

-
Very cool
VeeRacer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:01 pm happy to share more if anyone is interested
Yes please!
maverick
noun
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

VeeRacer wrote:
neilbardsley wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:24 pm Is that an adaptor in the oil pump cover for an external cooler?

You are correct Neil. The crankcase is effectively bare (no fan shroud or oil cooler etc) and it runs a total loss electrical system (no alternator/generator). The most critical thing on a Formula Vee installation is cooling; sufficient air for the cylinder heads (lots of clever ducting), twin, externally mounted oil coolers on my car (maximising surface area but minimising drag), and I also pay close attention to trying to keep the central carb cool as it sits inside the engine cover. We also run separate, remote oil filter.
Remains me of some of the details on Ron's car. Particularly where he guides fresh air into the cars.

https://youtu.be/EqlA0_7qSbk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP