engine rebuild

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Re: engine rebuild

Post by Ignatzcatz »

IMG_1137.JPG
Here are the engine cases with cracks all repaired ready to go to the machine shop. I'm still waiting for some parts to arrive which will accompany the cases for measuring after they've been on the mill. Good news about the gearbox which is being turned from a load of scrap metal into a working piece of kit by master magician Mike Bainbridge. The old box had the original diff in it and the result made for very high revs even in fifth. I desperately wanted a 8/31 CWP which equates to 3.875 diff, which would give me easy hundred mph capability, in actuality, just enough to keep up with everything on the motorway. Fortunately I'm very pleased to report fellow DDK disciple Darren T came to my rescue with just such an item which is now resident in my 915 gearbox.
IMG_1154 (1).JPG
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
hot66

Post by hot66 »

out of interest , where were the cracks ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

The one above is on the timing case which totally disintegrated when I double nutted the stud out. One was a crankcase stud by the oil strainer circle immediately below no. 4 pot. Another one below no. 3 which I think maybe an oil fitting, and the last which is not load baring or critical in any way it's the lowermost corner of the l/h case halve and will have to be drilled out to be of any use. I was concerned that the cases might be history but my pal is a magic tig man, his regular welds look like knitting and although he hadn't stitched magnesium before he said it was all quite straightforward procedure once all the crap had been ground away leaving virgin metal.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

IMG_1156.JPG
Got a bit bored over the last few days, nothing to do on the 911 except polish it, my Cobra is still up in Wisbech waiting for brake parts, so I ripped out the interior of the 356. I've never liked it, a horrid blue vinyl which all went in the dustbin. It has always been a noisy car, with the bigger engine so close to the firewall it's not surprising but it is tiring on any journeys longer than an hour or so. Classic Fabs did plonk a bit of Dynomat around the back but I thought I would really go to town and cover everything. On a recommendation I bought a big roll of Dodomat which looks exactly like the Dyno stuff but is half the price. OK I'm adding weight to the car but it is only a couple of kilos which shouldn't hurt the performance too greatly.
I'm pleased to report the gearbox now has the 8/31 diff I was seeking and as it seems to be coming together nicely I bit the bullet and got a demon Quaife LSD for it which should get me round the twisty bits somewhat faster than before.
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Thanks FedEx, got my rocker arm bushes from the States, these have to be drilled for the oil feed then pressed into my old rocker arms and honed to size. Lots of Porsche shops can't do this, i thought, fairly basic engineering task but after spending some time phoning round, I've now found a machine shop local to me who can do the job. Which is a great relief as I didn't really want to shell out another two grand on a new set of rockers. I spent a couple of days sizing up the interior panels I wanted and transferred these card panels onto thin ply which I've now covered in thin foam sheet and nice thick material. Off to Stuttgart in a couple of days so no more work while I try to get all the interior glue off my fingers and knees. Lovely.
IMG_1164.JPG
[attachment=2]
Attachments
IMG_1166.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
anglophone1
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by anglophone1 »

Sage green- very “clubby” (in the old-fashioned sense)
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Same colour as my chesterfield old boy, I was hoping if I cut down my chaise longue I could squeeze it in the back, nothing like a bit of comfort for the rumpy pumpy, but the wee beastie is just too damn tiny which is maybe why it's the only car I have owned I have yet to christen, still if I can hoist neighbour Gladys out of her wheelchair there's hope yet.
anglophone1
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by anglophone1 »

Chesterfield is exactly what I meant by “ clubby” Graham!
Will it have a tantalus or just a bottle of port on board?
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

big bass speakers Re: engine rebuild

Post by Ignatzcatz »

I'm not posting any more pics of my stunning interior because all of my associates have been taking the p#ss out of me bigtime over the colour and type of material, but do I care? No, because I've just bought a complete full hide of lovely lovat green leather and will be re covering my dash top and doing a mega job on my bucket seats and steering wheel. I've installed a pair of huge bass speakers where the little back seat squabs used to reside and the sound with the front mid range units plus tweeters is quite fantastic and bl##dy loud too.
I'm still waiting for all the machining to be completed. There was a delay in sourcing the time serts which had to be installed before the cylinder boring could take place, but the crank has gone off for magnafluxing then grinding twenty five thou for the mains and big ends then polishing. I had hoped to get the crank Nitride treated but everybody said with the forged steel crank they are tough enough as is plus any nitride operation invariably can result in the crank being slightly misshapen which means a lot more processing is therefore required. Also I have found there are very few people who are fans of this process.
The replacement bushes I sourced from the dear ole USA turned out to be a fractional one and a half thou too large so to avoid any involved machine procedure to get them to fit, I simply filed them in the junk metal bin and shelled out two and a half grand for a set of brand new rocker arms. Everything else in my engine is new so what is another two and a half K in the grand scheme of things. No problemo, hey, you can't take it with you.
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

IMG_1294 (1).jpg
Took my crank over to the machine shop. It was like taking your child to school for the first time. Will it be OK? Will it pass the magnafluxing? Will they radius the edges? Will they polish all the journals. Will it balance out alright? Picked it up on a swelteringly hot day and took it down to my micrometer wielding race engine machine building man, and, he said, it's perfect. Deep joy.
The cases are yet to be finished due to a delay obtaining the Wurth time serts but they are here now so the boring can soon commence. A further delay occurred when the vapour blaster decided to take a holiday but that's back in residence so all the headwork can now proceed. There will be a few more bits and bobs to buy for the engine, the last little thing purchased was a nose bearing which put me back 160 sovs but hopefully there won't be much more expense. I would say I have some very serviceable 2.4 engine parts just waiting for the next autojumble, very cheap too.
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Good news on the crank

Sent from my 22011119UY using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

IMG_1345 (1).jpg
IMG_1344.jpg
IMG_1346.jpg
The rebuild is dragging on, I knew it would take some time to get all the maching done because my CNC wielding pal was overloaded with race engine rebuilds and as I had no race dates to meet I had to take second place. No matter, all the work has now been completed. That's shuffle pin the cases, bored to 92mil, decked spigots, oil pump bypass mod, install 29 timeserts, vapour blast heads and fit new guides, bronze seats and cut angles then reface heads also bore and blend ports to inlet manifold and to exhausts. There also was a mega clean of the machined crankshaft. The cases have still to be align bored then hot tanked and chromated but this is in hand. We had a look at the carb situation with regard to the increase in capacity. I'm already running 46 inlet manifolds which have been working absolutely fine when the engine was a 2.4. There was thinking of going to 46 IDA's, I'm currently running 40's but before I shell out 4 or 5K on a new set of Webers, I am not entertaining injection whatever the make, we thought we should try an increase in jet size plus stick a much larger venturi (choke) into the carbs as our thinking is along the lines that with the cams I'm using, G40's, plus 46's, I'm not going to have much bottom end and I would rather lose a few horsepower at the top end and have a car that won't be an absolute bitch when cruising round town at low revs. It's swings and roundabouts but I shall take the simpler steps first.
I received my lovely rebuilt gearbox back from MB engineering, with all new bearings and gears plus new Quaife LSD and a long legged 8/31 CWP, should be good for 140, oh yes. I'm going to trial fit it in the car to ensure my Rennspeed shifter gets all the cogs and works as it should. I shall drop it out after the trial as the engine and box do have to go into the car as one. That will not be the most fun job but I always say - it's only nuts and bolts!
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

That’s going to be a cracking drivetrain
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

I installed my newly rebuilt gearbox into the car as I wanted to see how the Rennspeed shifter would fit and operate. With everything nicely hooked up, I think it may just be possible to get the engine into the car without dropping the gearbox, anyway I shall certainly give it a go because it would save me a whole lot of time and trouble. I have the Rennspeed shifter mounted on a Willhoit ally plate which gives the shift rod a better alignment back to the gearbox. And the shifting operation after the random soup stirring function of my previous 356 gear stick trying to get the gears in my 915 'box was a total revelation. A super short throw, close gate with exact function and fifth gear with reverse lockout too. It's pure precision but I shall have to ensure my gear changes are not too enthusiastic for fear of smashing up the cogs.
Attachments
IMG_1355 (1).JPG
IMG_1356.JPG
IMG_1359 (1).JPG
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Wow what a difference to the original ! That's a lot of time and work to perfect all that on your car as well the cost of course. There can be no comparison at all to driving a car like mine. Well done on doing all that work!

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954