Marketplace for my hot-roddy-resto-moddy-ex-T

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Marketplace for my hot-roddy-resto-moddy-ex-T

Post by MikeB »

From my experience, once you start talking about selling, the car is on the exit route. Since I stopped playing with single seaters in 2002, I’ve had 6 classics, but I only have room for one car. Hence 5 have been sold, I had my time with them, developing and improving, but ultimately I decided enough was enough and each got sold on. However, if I could have stored all 5 and been able to buy the 6th, I’d have done so. You have put a bit of your soul into the 911, and to put that into the context of Clive’s comment, that IS irreplaceable.
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Winston Teague wrote:Space, the final frontier. I decided many years ago that the key to having something that you don't use enough is to leave it out in the rain, from, roughly, easter, to first salt....then stick it in cheap storage over winter. Yes, it gets wet, yes, some rust bubbles have come back, but we did 6000 very enjoyable miles in it last year and the discs on my skoda went rusty....as soon as you put a car in a garage, some f###er puts a bike/wheel/delivery in front of it and you go out in a Skoda (or equivalent) keep it, drive it for everything, wash it sometimes, you'll love it and remember, we are a long time dead......W
I like that idea Winston. Since my 911 stopped being my daily driver I’ve barely driven it which is a real shame. Think I’ll switch the cars round once I’ve finished the front suspension and daily drive it until September
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

One challenge I have is that I don't daily drive! I work from home, go to London by train sometimes for meetings and that's about it. Race weekends and holidays are in the motorhome. Sad irony for a petrol head really!
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

That's one of my issues these days. Work from home most of the time although now pushing for 2 days a week in the office just for my own sanity
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I’ve always worked from home office so when I drive the Porsches I’ve had to make a decision to take one out and treat it as a leisure activity.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

Dear oh dear, its like you lot don't get out enough, if so there's the problem, not space....
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

no, space is definitely the problem! I have three cars (one inbound) and two spaces. If I had sufficient spaces, I'd happily keep the cars even if they got little use.
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

This may not be the answer for all, but I found joining a car club meant I use my classic more. Its mainly summer or dry day in winter (no salt) use, but thats when its fun to drive it anyway. But even if you are only going out for a coffee, if you've got like minded people with you its a lot more fun. I think if I had to drive mine as a daily I would begin not to like it. After all, old cars look great, but they are not as practical or comfortable to be in on motorway commute and city centre stop go traffic as a modern car.
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
sladey

Post by sladey »

I don’t agree with that. I daily drive my classic for 20 years and really loved it.
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

-
Airport style classic car lottery, should go viral with 1,000 £100 tickets

maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Winston Teague wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:57 am Dear oh dear, its like you lot don't get out enough, if so there's the problem, not space....
Oof. Right in the feels.

I live in the suburbs so ride a pushbike into town for all the drinks and chats, don’t go to a workplace and have too many children to fit in a little car for days out.

Two or three big road trips a year is my future goal. Driving anywhere in the south of England is rubbish anyway.

Get it sold Graham. You’re not the type to miss cars and there are lots of others out there if you ever fancy another early one.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

sladey wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:31 pm I don’t agree with that. I daily drive my classic for 20 years and really loved it.
guess it depends on your journey. Mine was 16 miles on the m1, then 4 miles in Leeds city centre all at rush hour. Now if it were back roads, different story. My current commute is 4 metres from bedroom to office. Save a lot of money on fuel though!
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

That looks a lovely car, I do hope it finds an appreciative home.

I must admit that although I love driving my 356C, the 981 is the one I use most simply because it’s rides and drives so beautifully.
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Ashley James wrote:That looks a lovely car, I do hope it finds an appreciative home.

I must admit that although I love driving my 356C, the 981 is the one I use most simply because it’s rides and drives so beautifully.
Basically Ashley that’s why I’ve changed my stable over the past couple of years - switched from the purely pretty ones to those that give most driving pleasure (and also happen to be pleasing to my eye).
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

jeremyg wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:39 am
Ashley James wrote:That looks a lovely car, I do hope it finds an appreciative home.

Basically Ashley that’s why I’ve changed my stable over the past couple of years - switched from the purely pretty ones to those that give most driving pleasure (and also happen to be pleasing to my eye).
Fraid so. My chum doesn’t drive his 964 for the same reason. He was surprised how much better my Boxster was when he drove it.