VIN plate stamping

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

profblue
DDK Seasoned Poster

VIN plate stamping

Post by profblue »

As part of my full restauration, I unfortunately need to get the front trunk vin plate redone.
Whilst one can now buy this piece (official P-number 91150109800) from all major online stores (Design911, Rose P, etc.), I haven't had any luck finding someone who can actually stamp me the new piece, so that is resembles the original.

Without wanting to start of a whole thread around legal topics on this matter, I'd appreciate if someone could share any pointers where I could have this done?

Many thanks
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: VIN plate stamping

Post by 911hillclimber »

Sorry, removed my suggestion.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

My suggestion is that you don’t try to replicate the original stamping, just use a set of stamps that are at hand. This way you can honestly point out that the panel has been restamped and no attempt made to disguise it. Any attempt to re stamp it to mirror the original will be spotted by them in the know and thus a Black Mark might attach to your cars history
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
Sam

Post by Sam »

I don’t agree with that logic.

It’s just another bit of the car, do it as close to factory spec as you like, just don’t say it’s original. Same applies to everything on any restored car, it’s only misleading if you claim it’s something it’s not. If you ever sell it just tell the truth, it’s a new plate.

Imagine if someone told you they’d deliberately welded one SC arch on to their RS to make sure no one mistook it for an unrestored car. You’d think them bonkers I reckon.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
SeanP
I luv DDK!

Post by SeanP »

Didn’t Porsche offer the plate and the stamping if you could produce evidence of ownership etc?

Might be worth asking at your OPC
1966 912
1969 912/6 hotish rod in build
1974 914 Dead
LI 125 Lambretta (Yeah right it’s a 125)
Mini Cooper s
visualfx
I luv DDK!

Post by visualfx »

they do indeed
profblue
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by profblue »

Ok, thanks for all inputs. As I have all documents as well as the old piece in hand, I'll try my luck with my local P classic dealer. Based on your experience, would they stamp the piece (pior install) or prefer to stamp once fully on the chassis?
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I presume this is the aluminium ID plate on the front slam panel.

If so, the plate is very thin and simply pop rivited to the panel.

The plate would need to be stamped 'on the bench' to ensure a firm flat surface to get good definition when the digits are struck.
Stamped on the slam panel would not ensure clarity imho (I have done a bit of this type of thing over the years, but not on these parts)

So, get it stamped off the car and simply pop rivet it on the slam panel. iirc the rivets are not special security parts, but check!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
profblue
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by profblue »

just for clarification, it is NOT the aluminium plate on the front panel, they typically don't have rust issues :lol:

It's this one here:
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

OK, sorry for my mis-understanding, did not realise it was the chassis number as above.

It takes quite a blow to stamp steel but I recon the factory would stamp that full bulkhead panel before it went into the welding jig, the support block would locate in the underside of the raised section.

Didn't know you could buy that section panel. Hope you get what you need.

Oh, and aluminium does rust, it is white and generally a light powder (alum oxide) that comes off but leaves a pitting behind, and ultimately corrodes to aluminium oxide on it's way back to nature.
Mine has such pitting, also now known as patina!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
SeanP
I luv DDK!

Post by SeanP »

Oh that piece!
Have you tried an engraver? you know the type that engraves trophies?
Stamping them and the dies/punches in the correct font would be pretty hard to come by unless you know some unscrupulous people.

Or a letter the DVLA stating what you are doing and why you are doing it with pictorial evidence asking for advice. (A letter from the DVLA acknowledging the request and offering advice would be a good argument if you followed their advice and then an argument started)

By the way I am in the same boat as you with a car I am restoring! I have not cut the part out and won't until I have a letter as stated above or an inspection carried out by a DVLA authorised inspector for registration.

Regards

Sean
1966 912
1969 912/6 hotish rod in build
1974 914 Dead
LI 125 Lambretta (Yeah right it’s a 125)
Mini Cooper s