70T rolling resto / right date

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Re: 70T rolling resto / right date

Post by PMNorris »

Side window restoration in progress.

New popout trim, rubbers and screws arrived from RosePassion

New trim fitted. A significant improvement over the old
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

I bought some new hardware for the rear window frames and fitted them. With the new rubbers they are a much tighter fit.

I got my window frames back from Nick Moss. He only did the fronts as the popouts were in pretty good condition. Not only that, the tiny screws in the popout frames were corroded and I couldn't get them out, so I couldn't dismantle them.

A bit of silicone grease helped the front windows slide back into position.

Lovely. The lower horizontal bar beneath the quarter light went in next

Followed by glueing the felt back in again

The finished article. I'm very happy with the result. They look great.

1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

I got my dials back from Julian Reap this week. 5 months of wait, but Julian told me the wait is now 9-12 months!! He said this is his busiest year ever.

They look like jewellery. I'm super happy with the results.

I installed them this morning. They are all working well apart from the fuel / oil level. Not sure what's going on there, but I must have written down the wiring order incorrectly.
Also, when testing all my wiring it turned out that nearly all the bulbs were blown. Fortunately I had enough working bulbs for the tacho and speedo, so I won't need to remove the steering wheel to replace them. The bulbs from Porsche are about 3.50 each. I'm sure Halfords used to sell these sort of things for about 30p.

I've just been for a drive. I really need to get the fuel guage working properly!!
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

So that's it. All winter projects complete....

- H1 headlights refurbed and replaced.
- Window frames refurbed
- Bonnet was popping up. Now sorted
- Rear bumper sprayed with stone chip paint and gold heat refector put on it by the exhaust (for a bit of bling that you'll never see).
- Rear bumper refitted as it was squeaking
- Dials restored

I'm looking forward to some decent weather to drive it properly.
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

PMNorris wrote: They look like jewellery. I'm super happy with the results.
.....very fresh! 8) :)
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

Its been a while since my last update. After driving my car to a number of classic car events, weeekend blasts and meetings at the Fairmile, I now have another set of winter projects to do....

The surface rust at the bottom of the A-Pillar was really annoying me and presumably caused by the poor fitting windscreen rubber which was trapping water.

The lacquer chip on the bonnet was also annoying me. Nobody else would have noticed it. But I knew it was there!

And then there was the de-laminating of the gelcoat on my rear fibreglass bumper. Probably the result of the heat shield falling off when I did a track day.

It could do with a clean too!

Windscreen wipers and washer nozzles removed for painting

And the bumper removed too. All ready to go to OSC in Chessington for repainting.

Radio removed from the dashboard

And ready to be sent to Chrome London for repair
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

My ash tray has seen better days after 52 years of use, so whilst the rest of my car was in for paint repairs, I thought I'd try my hand at DIY painting. I've not tried this before.

Disassembled and light sanding

The bit that bolts to the front trim after sanding in my home made spray booth

Front trim bit primed

More priming action. Not suspending the ash tray body was a mistake. I had to use my wife's nail varnish remover to remove some excess primer that stuck it to the cardboard spray booth.

I found some new cap head hex nuts to replace the original ones on Amazon. I also gave the crusty original washers a bit of a buff up, not that they will be seen.

I will leave the primer to harden overnight and then have a go at the top coat. I bought a can of matched Porsche Satin Schwarz. Hopefully it will match the rest of the dash.
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

The windscreen has been removed. All rust was found to be surface rust only. Rust inhibitor has been applied.

PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

I bought some Porsche black paint. Shocking match! More of a dark grey than a black

So I bought an alternative from my local EuroParts shop in Chessington, which looks a lot better

As I had to remove the fan and wiper motor to get the front resprayed, I took the opportunity to replace a few worn parts.

With my new found painting skills, I decided to give this a lick of paint too

I gave the back of the bumper a coat or 2 of stone chip protector and heat protector tape that I stuck on with high temperature silicone sealant.

My car is now back from OSC in Chessington. I refitted the rear bumper today. Pics of the rest of the paintwork to follow once its off the axle stands.
Last edited by PMNorris on Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

That last shot .. rear looks spot on
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

Thanks James. I'm pretty happy with it.

Frunk area now back together

Front end is now back together again. I fitted an early style orange Porsche badge. Previously it had a sticker.

All rust gone. Windscreen, wipers and wiper jets installed.

I installed a new blue LED from Classic LED's too. It's super bright. Steering wheel is back on and the horn is working. Its stopped working a few months ago. It turned out to be a break in the live cable to the horn relay. All sorted now.

It's looking pretty again. I've only got the oil leaks, steering wobble and squeaky rear suspension to fix now. I might get an expert to do that though and then it can get a service and MOT (not that it needs one) at the same time.
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

Chrome London sent my fixed radio back. I had fried both the radio and the blue tooth dongle. I reinstalled both yesterday and put some NOS basket weave on the dashboard facia that I happened to have in my garage. The sound through the single dash speaker is pretty good, although I did replace it a few years ago with a high output speaker.

Paul
Last edited by PMNorris on Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

One of my winter jobs is to sort out the squeaky rear suspension. Its been really annoying!

Step 1: Jack up the car. I usually use the suspension mounts to do that, but obviously if I'm taking the suspension off, I need an alternative. First off, block the front wheels.

Step 2: Jack the car up using the engine, support it with a stack of wood and put a few jack stands under the car, just in case.

Step 3: Mark the suspension so I know where to put it back together. I used some spray primer.

Step 4: Remove the rear suspension plate covers, release the tension of the suspension and record the angle of dangle using a not so scientific method.

Step 5: Remove the spring plates. Annoyingly the torsions bars came out with the plates.....

So I had to drill a hole and bash them off using a centre punch

Step 6: With the spring plates off, I removed the anti roll bars
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

With the bits off, they are off to be prettied up....

Spring plates and overs are being re zinc plated. I did consider buying the adjustable spring plates from Elephant Racing, but as they are quite pricey, I will go with the originals for now.

As are the nuts and bolts

I ordered new rear 26mm torsion bars from Elephant Racing together with their Polybronze bushes

Anti roll bar bushes are toast. I have ordered new ones.

This is an anti roll bar spacer that was fitted by the previous owner when he put the 915 gearbox in. Both sides are split. I have ordered the original part that was fitted to the 930 gearbox cars. I'm not sure it is exactly the same dimensions. If not, I will get then made up in aluminium. If anyone knows of anyone who makes this off the shelf then please let me know. I couldn't find an ARB spacer for 915 gearboxes on early 911s online.

I will get the Anti roll bar blasted and powder coated. Everything else is either already with the platers or will be sent this week.
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

My Spring plates and covers have now been replated. New 26mm torsion bars and polybronze bushings have arrived from Elephant Racing. It all looks very pretty! I'm waiting for the Anti Roll Bar drop links to arrive from plating, so I won't be able to get it back on the road this weekend, but I will fit the bushing races. I will do some experimenting before I bolt it down as I need to ensure that I can properly adjust the ride hight. Adjustable spring plates would have been nice, as would a new set of nuts & bolts, but with the bolts at $330 from Elephant Racing (£454 from Design 911) and a fully adjustable spring plate at $515 / £686 I am reusing the original parts!