Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars Porsche 914 Tonight 9pm on Quest

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars Porsche 914 Tonight 9pm on Quest

Post by AndrewSlater »

As per title, 9pm on Quest TV
I wonder if they just pushed it the 20 yards to Greatworth Classics and said 'Angus just fix this for us' ;)
1966 Porsche 912 Slate Grey, red interior - first owner owned for 41 years
1974 Porsche 911 2.7 (The Manhattan project) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51455
1973 VW 914 1.7 Olympic Blue - ( gone to a good home )
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars Porsche 914 Tonight 9pm on Quest

Post by 911hillclimber »

Watched it.
Not my cup of tea.
Did they make any money?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Well I’m sure they made money from the TV program but I doubt they made money from the car, although they will always make out that they do.

They paid £11k for the car and reckon they spent another £11k on it. However out of that they spent £4.5k on parts from Greatworth and another £4K+ on the engine so that doesn’t leave much for a full colour change, wheels, interior work etc, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alfacat
I luv DDK!

Post by alfacat »

Hi All
I can't help feeling even as a lightweight bit of fun classic car show that the latest season has gone down hill (it never exactly set a high bar).

All the best
Ian F.

PS. My god those replica Fuchs wheels looked awful.
Last edited by alfacat on Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gone but not forgotten
72 2.4 T in Sepia (Charlie)
60s, 70s, 80s, 90s & 00s Alfas
Caterhams (one fast & one very Fast!)
and a few old Lotus.

Still with us
997 C2S (Alice) & M&W 550 Spyder (Lil Caesar)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Agree.
I do find Drew difficult to take, the other guy seem sound to me, probably why the two are paired for he show.
'Taking the Classic Car world by Storm' in the opening titles and other phrases irritates me, but that aside it is just another take on the usual themes, I don't have to watch it but i do, and all the other programs in the similar vein, guess I'm not alone.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
KS

Post by KS »

Paul and Drew are two of the nicest people you can meet, both car nuts in the extreme. It's unfortunate that on-TV personas can give a skewed view to people who don't personally know them, but that's so often the way.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

I watched a few minutes of the programme & then clicked away to something else.

I realise now that I’m not engaged by 90+% of non-fiction TV programmes. The method of filming, editing, scripting etc is transparently staged in a way I find instinctively off-putting.

Over a decade ago a friend sarcastically remarked that he “loved” the way the formula shows pack 20mins of material into an hour long show. All the establishing stuff at the start with highlights of the show’s conclusion, the look-ahead / recap each side of an ad break, etc etc. I’ve long found that annoying and the audience for these shows is likely to be over 30 as no one younger is engaged by it, I suspect.

Last year, a film crew was at Mrs M place of work filming material for a popular property programme. The director was chatting & said his least favourite situation is any filming involving stairs. He said if you see a shot involving stairs you can bet the people on camera have climbed up & down the stairs at least 20 times to get all the shots / angles & get any dialogue right.

These days I far prefer YouTube content for non fiction. For the most part is more realistic, genuine & therefore engaging. Last night was Harry’s garage with the start of his Ferrari refresh (minor resto due to old accident damage) and a video from Allen Millyard making a flexible carb tuning screwdriver out of bits in his workshop.

I saw an interview recently with (probably) the most successful YouTube creator and he said he tried recruiting “old media” people in the past and it never worked out. They were too slow, wanted to use television techniques and saw YouTube as a temporary passage into TV careers. His style is unscripted & fast paced so repeating the same thing over & over to get all the shots etc is a non starter. At times he will use up to 30 cameras running so all the shots / angles are caught in one take.

Interestingly when Harry does his travel blogs, he often uses a TV style shot where he drives a section of road then u-turns, drops off his wife in a suitable location, drives back 1/4 mile, u-turns, redrives the same section of road past his wife & out of shot perhaps 1/4 mile, u-turns again & goes back to collect his wife. In the comments there are always a raft of people sharing their appreciation for Mrs Metcalf filming efforts, standing at the side of the road while Harry drives up & down……. So everyone sees the staged material & registers it as fake even if just subconsciously. In small doses it’s fine & adds to the material but too much is a distraction in my experience and is off putting.

But maybe that’s just me!! :)
christaylorsound
DDK addict

Post by christaylorsound »

"His style is unscripted & fast paced so repeating the same thing over & over to get all the shots etc is a non starter. At times he will use up to 30 cameras running so all the shots / angles are caught in one take"

And that is exactly why it looks so shite! I also switch off 90% of stuff on TV and never ever watch shite made by this fella and his mates. And don't get me started on 'influencers' or endless mindless adverts....
For clarity, I work in "old media" and started out when things were done properly, not to a budget of pennies.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Trick:
Record these programs, and 6 x fast forwards past the ads.
But you certainly 'measure' the ad space taken in an hour program, at least 25/30%

I love all these types of car programs, but esp the Motorbike Show with Henry Cole, and Milliyard appears on that too, so a REAL bonus.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
dt4
DDK addict

Post by dt4 »

it cant have harmed the interest in 914's and if you have one for sale I imagine it will have done your chances a world of good and had a knock on effect on the value of the shed full of spares parts someone might have :wink:
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

I agree

I also like this programme, and the prior series. I like the way they choose distinctly different but worthwhile cars (Renault 5 Gordini being just one of a long list of examples). It also comes across that they are both proper car nuts, similar age to me so like the same trinkets etc, and the earlier series was based where I and Paul live.

I don’t like aspects of any TV programme, the recaps as if we are all goldfish without a memory grates on me, but I record them all and watch them to escape the endless background noise of teenagers watching videos with sped up music that sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks. Give me strength….!

Maybe I’m just getting old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
KS

Post by KS »

You are.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Thanks for your unstinting support Keith!!
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
KS

Post by KS »

:lol: I'm speaking from experience...
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Slightly OT, I’ve just watched the Trekker episode. I liked what they did, but preferred the stance of the car they bought and the narrowed beam / 914 Fuchs and Gulf blue - what can I say. I thought it was the D.B.s as it was…..
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone