My '72 911T

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Rostrenner
DDK Fanatic

Re: My '72 911T

Post by Rostrenner »

A friend of mine here in Germany, Johannes, had suffered from steering wheel vibrations on his Carrera 3.2 Coupé for long and documented his (finally successful) quest on tape.
Check this out and leave a thumbs up if helpful to you: https://youtu.be/PvlJ6spS0PA

Best,
Jan :)
'72 2.4T Viper Green -> Video | '73 2.4T Signal Yellow (project)
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

I've been following Johannes on Youtube for some time. A true perfectionist. I'm pretty sure my issue is not my brakes as the issue arises at 70ish mph.

I've been reading quite a bit about steering wobble. It looks like worn ball joints are a common culprit. I quite like the look of these, but as an alternative, I think I will remove my control arms and send them off to Neil Bainbridge / BS Motorsport to get the control arms refurbished and the bushes and ball joints replaced.

https://www.rennline.com/rennline-contr ... d-sku-s31/

Paul
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Agree, his video's are first class and very clear. The end result is a surprise, I watch the video some time ago.

My drilled discs were put on my car with the Carbone pads at the same time about 6 years (or more) ago. No probs with the '70 mph wobble' then, just in the last 2 or 3 years / 3000 miles later.

Always at 70 or 75mph (if my speedo is correct at that speed).
But, now it is gone and I've done nothing.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

No progress on the winter list, but I did take advantage of the break in the weather (and the lack of salt!) for a little drive.

Was a lovely day for it and after some mild encouragement to cold start I gently warmed the fluids and finally got it singing again.

Had a little splash in a puddle which was a bit more dramatic than I planned with the window open :)

Might even try and fix some bits at some point, but it runs lovely so don’t want to unfix that! :)
AVI_8
DDK Newbie

Post by AVI_8 »

Just read your thread from start to finish (not on the same day!), wow what a journey, your car’s fantastic, love everything about it, must feel so good to be out driving it after all of that hard work, very inspirational, reminds me I need to get a move on and get mine resurrected from its long term slumber.
Logan
964 C2 coupe
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

I can't believe you drove through a puddle! :shock: :P
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
Gary71

My '72 911T

Post by Gary71 »

Time for a short update…

First off fixed the washer jets simply by putting the old rusty pump back on and binning the shiny new one! Glad that was an easy one as I really didn’t want to pull the heater out to get to the hoses at the top.

Then onto the oil leaks… Image

Doesn’t look too bad here as I wipe it up occasionally…

First job was to get it up in the air and pull the arch liners out so I could get to the oil system. Pulled both sides out to check they work! Pleased to report dry and clean after 4000 miles since the rebuild.

From here (some of!) the oil leaks became obvious: the pipe that goes from the tank to the oil filter is leaking at both ends, it’s done up tight so it’s either the sealing face, the crimp connections or just the hose perishing after 50 years…
It’s the only original hose left so I’m buying a new one just in case!

So once I’d got the oil out (including that slug in the oil cooler)
I pulled all the pipes out and removed the oil filter housing.
I’m also swapping the ‘72 specific part as it leaks from the oil cooler blank and the fitting for that leaky hose is corroded. Lucky to get a good used one :)

Once Porsche have employed sufficient virgin unicorns to make me a new pipe from fairy dust I should be able to put it all back together. In the meantime I’m going to poke about elsewhere and make sure I’ve done all I can before refilling it.

Probably still leak, but hopefully less!
sladey

Post by sladey »

That does look like a good replacement you've got there Gary - Fingers crossed it does the business
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Rostrenner
DDK Fanatic

Post by Rostrenner »

Gary,
I like your approach to lining the wheel arches.
May I ask: did you find them ready-made or did you have to adapt / construct those to fit the 72?

Great progress with the oil system, keep going! :)
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Rostrenner wrote:Gary,
I like your approach to lining the wheel arches.
May I ask: did you find them ready-made or did you have to adapt / construct those to fit the 72?

Great progress with the oil system, keep going! :)
Hi, I made them from flat sheet plastic and made up some brackets to hold them to the body in various places. The back ones use the torsion bar mount and the bumper cross bar, so no additional holes. The front ones needed some drilling!

Took a while to get the shape with card and tape, but worked out ok at the second (or
maybe third) attempt!

They are edged with some generic rubber lip seal.
Rostrenner
DDK Fanatic

Post by Rostrenner »

Gary71 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:59 am Hi, I made them from flat sheet plastic and made up some brackets to hold them to the body in various places. The back ones use the torsion bar mount and the bumper cross bar, so no additional holes. The front ones needed some drilling!

Took a while to get the shape with card and tape, but worked out ok at the second (or
maybe third) attempt!

They are edged with some generic rubber lip seal.
Excellent, thanks for sharing your approach!
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

The plastic was the 2mm thick version of this:

https://www.plasticstockist.com/ABS-She ... Sheet.aspx

The edge trim was this:

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1364-mud-flap-push-on

Hope that helps!
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

I remember having to replace the oil line on my old 71 2.2 that went over the gearbox, but rather than pay Porsche money I got my local
https://www.pirtek.co.uk/find-service-centre/
to make a copy for me. Might save a few quid.

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
Rostrenner
DDK Fanatic

Post by Rostrenner »

Gary71 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:29 pm The plastic was the 2mm thick version of this:

https://www.plasticstockist.com/ABS-She ... Sheet.aspx

The edge trim was this:

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1364-mud-flap-push-on

Hope that helps!
Very much so, thanks a lot Gary!

Cheers
Jan
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Finally we have parts! I called in at Porsche Silverstone to get an oil filter on Saturday as the first one Porsche Wilmslow sent me was for a 997 and the replacement seems to be lapping the globe three times before it gets to me.

The new main oil feed to the tank and the little connector to the outlet arrived as planned so last night I pulled the tank out so I could get to the hose connection on top.

Old hose looking a bit worse for wear and leaking at both ends.
Found another leak from the oil level sensor so sorted that (fingers crossed!)

New hose aligned and fitted to the tank

Carefully back in the hole. Hate this part with all that precious paint around!

Connected to the back of the filter, hope it stays this clean this time!

Not going to miss this filter! I preferred these OE filters when they were black.

Just as a note this was £5 cheaper from Porsche direct than the same OE part from Design911, always worth checking!

Going to try and finish off a few more bits tonight then I can get some oil back in and see if any of the leaks have gone! :)