Front wing sealing tape alternatives and questions?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Dears,

I need to decide what to give to my paint shop to seal my front wings to the wing mounting flanges after paint, and was wondering whether there might be better, more modern, alternatives to the original-type wing flange sealing tape that gets squished between the wings and the wing mounting flanges? I was thinking perhaps something in a cartridge/tube?

I also have a few :oops: questions about the original-type sealing wing flange sealing tape that I hope someone might be able to answer based on their experiences:
> Relatively speaking, is it easy to use, or a pig to use? Anything to watch out for?
> It goes on after paint, never before?
> Will it protrude and need trimming once squished down?
> Can the front wing positions be re-positioned at all after fitting with the tape, or not?
> Can the wings be removed and then refitted after the tape is squished?
> Is it really soft and therefore has to be squished completely flat all the way along the wing mounting flanges, or can you squish it just enough to get the perfect wing to bonnet gaps?

Hope you can help! thanks in advance, Dean
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Rightly or wrongly I didn’t bother with it.

I put a coat of 2k epoxy mastic on the inner wing flange and the wing itself. The Raptor underbody stopped short of the mounting face. Gapping, flatting etc before A surface paint was done like that. Then after paint they went back on and I soaked everything down the flange in dinitrol and sealed the top side with a bead of black silicone.

That’s hidden under the bonnet seal so it’s all covered up.

On the inside I made arch liners so don’t have to worry about it getting full of mud from the underside.

911hillclimber

Re: Front wing sealing tape alternatives and questions?

Post by 911hillclimber »

I would concur with Gary, it is a pita to use the real calking.
Once on the wing will not mover one bit, it is a paint to split apart and the fixing screws pick up in the tape and wraps around the threads.
A mess.

I did my wings 3 years ago, and protected as Gary, put the lot together, eased the wings into place and tightened everything. I sealed the top with black RTV silicon.

I first did my wings in 1988 and it was awful.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Thanks for these helpful replies - we used spacers when gapping the wings prior to paint, assuming that the correct tape would eventually be used.

I do have the OEM tape already, and might use short strips of it just to get the correct gaps, then seal over the top of it, all the way down the wings as was suggested. Perhaps if I apply plenty of wax to the front wing flanges, it might prevent the OEM wing tape from sticking to the front wings, to enable some adjustment and removal. The RTV silicone seems like a good call - thanks for the tip ! :compress:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

That caulking will stick to most things, and i suspect Vaseline on the surfaces just might allow the panel to slide/move a touch to get your gapping where you want it.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Thanks again ! :alien:
Dean
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

Just sent you a PM Deano - but this is what was used on mine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... =UTF8&th=1
--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Much obliged! :albino:
Dean