New member and a '68 911T

Well don't be shy let us know about yourselves

Moderator: Miggs

dan95x
DDK Newbie

Re: New member and a '68 911T

Post by dan95x »

Gary71 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:05 pm Welcome to DDK!

Don’t be afraid of the restoration, ultimately they are all ‘just’ metal irrelevant if it 911 shaped or T25 shaped.

Clearly no rush to dive in, other than get it dry stored before another winter has it’s time on the body again.
I maybe didn't describe my 'fear' very well - I'm happy to get stuck into it and have a go at anything, not worried/starstruck by working on the 911, its more whether that's a 'shame' for that to be what happens to this particular car. If for example we start putting his Bay Window Pickup back on the road, and the engine is buggered, or I can only get hold of an incorrect interior etc, then it doesn't matter if I take the most 'economically viable' way and drop an alternative lump in, or put incorrect year interior bits, or if my home made repair panels don't exactly match up with the original pattern in the load bed etc. I feel like the same potential 'shortcuts' with the Porsche would be a bigger mistake?

Alternatively, If I start looking at the 911 and its so bad that my skills can get it back on the road but as something more akin to an outlaw type build (not that is what I am planning, but I just meant if it was so utterly knackered that I was effectively left with no choice) that seems a shame if it was saveable by someone who really knows what they are doing.

Perhaps I am overthinking it, or perhaps in my head I am overstating the 'importance' of the Porsche as an early one - I guess I am thinking if as it stands its worth say £10k, but someone who knows what they are doing can still restore it properly, and we could buy a bitsa of an earlyish shell but with the wrong gearbox, no engine, missing a load of bits etc, that is already 'spoiled' for that same £10k, then it feels sensible to get 'our' Porsche passed on to someone who can do it and I can mess around with one that is already nothing special till the cows come home, if that makes any sense? (Values plucked from thin air - I have no idea, like I say, this isnt my area of expertise, type of car-wise)
dan95x
DDK Newbie

Post by dan95x »

I have stuck some of his cinefilm footage of some Porsche racing at Silverstone and Brands Hatch in the 'Motorsport Chat' section of the forum too as it seemed teh right section to post it in, but thought it was worth a mention here as that board doesnt seem all that busy!
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

Potentially a nice project. Like yours, my car has rust from standing, and not from being driven (it was originally used in the desert).

The floor and one seat were toast, but the front panels, front and rear inner and outer wings, torsion tubes and rear chassis members were all in great shape, and from what I've learnt those can be some of the trickiest bits to fix.

Seeing that hole in the bonnet though, I suspect yours will require a lot of welding everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.