EV conversions and DVLA

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: EV conversions and DVLA

Post by KS »

Ssssshhhh! You said you wouldn't tell! :lol:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Interestingly, it makes me nervous to tell the DVLA that the xflow in my Caterham is now 1700 rather than 1600. That must be just silly thinking though. Got the V5 for the 911 changed ok from 2.0 to 2.4.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

There are specific 'boxes' on the V5 for engine size, fuel type, emissions etc, so if you make a change to the subject matter in a V5 box, then you are obliged to inform them.

A lot of this gets up my nose, but how can the DVLA retrospectivly change the rules?
If you have changed the engine in your car to bigger/smaller in 1995 and have the V5 with the change done so so approved, then NOW, it is recinded, how can that be fair and right to the public?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
KS

Post by KS »

Graham, you're not in any danger of having your 911's V5c revoked for having a bigger 911 engine than it came with from the factory. If, however, you applied to change the engine size to 7-litres, with a Chevrolet engine number, then they might take more interest on the grounds that the car probably underwent fairly extensive work to accommodate the new drivetrain. And they are not retrospectively changing any rules. These rules came in back in the 1980s, but just haven't been applied – it's far easier now to catch people out with DVLA being computerised...and social media.

DVLA rarely goes out of its way to search out a vehicle and demand the V5c be returned. What is happening, it would seem, is that certain vehicles are being 'flagged' as being worthy of inspection at some point (having been viewed on social media, or at a show, maybe). What happens then is that they sit back and wait for a change of owner, or a change of details, which require the V5c to be returned to Swansea, Then, instead of getting your new V5c back with the updated details, you get a nice letter inviting you to have the vehicle inspected. This is why you see so many freshly imported vehicles advertised with all customs paperwork done, NOVA issued etc and the magic words 'all ready for new owner to register the vehicle with DVLA' – the importer doesn't want to run the risk of having the application turned down and being stuck with a vehicle he can't register with putting it through IVA. Somewhere in the small print the chances are he'd have written a get-out clause in the event of the application being refused...

To be honest, there is little to fear in our little world – unless, of course, you carry out an EV conversion and pretend it never happened. Changing taxation classes, be it from ICE to EV or PLG to Historic, are the most likely reasons for being called for inspection these days. Too many people have lied and the DVLA is wise to it.

And 'other Graham', there's no problem with going from 1600 to 1700 on your Caterham, if you feel the need to change the V5c. You're not swapping taxation classes, or making any substantial modifications - it's just an upgrade that required nothing more than boring cylinders and fitting bigger pistons.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

gridgway wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:10 am Perhaps I've missed a bit, but I assume that the DVLA and those that make the rules they enforce, essentially don't want a load of cack handed electric conversions target than actually being concerned over a hole being drilled?
Most countries are pushing EVs because they want lower CO2 emissions. But my friend works for the Road management of Norway has had a problem with EVs not paying road tax. As there is no fuel tax either. Her problem was that these heavy, powerful vehicles were damaging the roads and over the past 5 years just getting all of their income off the one bloke with a Volvo 240 who couldn't afford an EV has caused a hole in their state run agency, to the point where they are changing the law.
It is two fold, price and weight.
So the budget proposed for 2023 includes the reintroduction of the 25% VAT for the sum paid for a new EV that exceeds the NOK 500,000 (£45,000) threshold. So, if your new base-spec Porsche Taycan 4S Sport Turismo is around NOK 1,000,000 (£95,800), you’ll soon have to add an extra NOK 125,000 (£11,970) to the vehicle’s final price if the budget proposal passes.
EV owners will also have to pay the weight tax from 2023 of NOK 12.5 (£1.2) per kilogram. This currently is mandatory only for gas- and diesel-powered cars (including hybrids). It will apply after the first 500 kg (1,102 lb) meaning that a 2,604-kg (5,740-lb) Tesla Model X Plaid will be NOK 26,300 (£2,519) more expensive.

I think Norway is ahead of most countries in Electric Vehicles and this weight based system is pretty clear and simple to understand.
Scene tax
Sam

Post by Sam »

^ that all seems thoroughly sensible. No tax on EVs initially meant quick adoption which meant quick creation of charging infrastructure. Now that’s in place the EVs don’t need so much of an incentive as they work for most people without much compromise.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Here in NL road tax is based on weight as well. And fuel type. And which province you live in. It's largely pretty sensible, although you can't SORN stuff for the winter. Which is annoying.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I'd be a keen supporter of road tax being based on weight if it was introduced here ... :wink:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
KS

Post by KS »

Lightweight_911 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:43 am .

I'd be a keen supporter of road tax being based on weight if it was introduced here ... :wink:

Me too - starting with Elites and 914s at ground zero, and going from there. :lol:
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Might have to change my LA Caterham for a superlight!
KS

Post by KS »

They'll probably owe you money if you do!
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

Lightweight_911 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:43 am .

This is to me the most logical as having a set of scales at an MOT station is not the most expensive bit of kit to buy.
This also tempers the trend towards ever bigger, heavier cars as there is no ceiling on this other than 3500kgs for most drivers which was aimed at Van or Small trucks. It also ties into the electricity usage and battery minerals being unhindered at the moment.

But then you would not have people try this. A '95 VW polo 6N with a Audi S4 4.2 V8 in it. It might be a Chariot in terms of handling. But I like that someone has done it without chopping it up. The only body modification is a carbon fibre bonnet.

More details here.. Yours for $NZ 10,000 or £7000
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars ... f=XgU7gf8r
Scene tax