Fuel pump advice

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

bazz55
DDK slapper chatter

Fuel pump advice

Post by bazz55 »

Hi, I know this has been covered many times before as I have read through past topics however it seems there are so many options that people are using.

I have a 69 911s on Webber 40ida and my current pump is a cube style solid state pump located under the tank. I have had the car 20 years or so and it’s been absolutely fine up until I tried to start it a week ago and no sound from the pump.

I am looking for a replacement however there are loads of options in terms of facet cube or the red top and silver top cylinder style pumps. Some say they have to be vertically mounted which is a worry as I think I will struggle for space under the tank guard where the original pump would have been located. I would prefer something more modern rather than doing for a hardi pump as the one I had has been pretty spot on albeit bloody loud and be able to mounted horizontally for clearance.

I would ideally like to run it under the tank with a Malpassi filter king in the engine bay. And a questions on this do people normally run the larger 86mm one.

Do I need to worry about flow rate etc as I have spoken to some suppliers and they have advised I need something to match bhp in terms of Flow rate. The car has been on a rolling road at 210bhp and some suppliers have advised with the higher pressure pumps 6-7 psi with the higher flow rates but obviously I would need to use the filter to drop back to 3.5psi.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction please and a go to supplier would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
Barry
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Fuel pump advice

Post by Nine One One »

There was this post from years ago, which may assist?
viewtopic.php?p=575942&hilit=fuel+pump+ ... nt#p575942
bazz55
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bazz55 »

Thanks for the reply, I have seen this particular thread however it doesn’t really make anything clearer around flow rate and with it being an older thread links to different websites are no longer working.
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

In the past I've always used a Facet* 'silver top' (cylindrical) pump in Weber-equipped engines - sited in the left hand rear of the engine compartment.

In addition, I fitted an 85mm Malpassi Filter King (alloy bowl version) between the pump & carbs set to 3.5 psi - so (IMO) there's no point in fitting a high pressure pump ...

There can be a big difference in prices for both units (& they're not always both cheapest at the same places) so it pays to shop around.

* I remove the Facet labels & replace them with repro Bendix stickers to make them look more original.

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”