DDK above all

Re: Bouncy front end !

Post by Jeremy 356 (Jez 356) »

Hi It is a while since I highlighted the issue with the bouncing front end

I have certainly improved things with:
greasing up all the nipples and front suspension
adjusting the king and link pins
checking the shocks and tightening everything up

All was going well with just a bit of bounciness that I now think is just with the normal seats !!

I took the car to the Classic Motor Hub on Sunday - about 1.5 hour drive each way from Salisbury

On the return trip there was a squeaking / screeching noise from the near side front - bearings I suspect.
I had had a problem like this coming back from Le Mans 2018 and taken the outer bearing out and fully regreased it and the problem seemed to be fixed.

So there was no heat on the drum when I stopped so I suspect inner bearing is giving up - if this is the case then I am also wondering if this might be causing a bit of 'grabbing' and thus some of the remaining bounce in the suspension - I am hoping that once I have fixed this issue then the bounce might go away too ?

All the best

Regards Jeremy
356A T1 1956
Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Hi all

So I am surprised that I originally sent off the initial message about a 'bouncy front end' in Jan 22 - since then I have spent several months in several hospitals and luckily come out of a serious medical problem, in sort of one piece! That is when you appreciate what you have! So back to the car!

I have now managed to get the shocks off - front and rears to go off to be rebuilt as they must be about 18 years old?

When I previously looked at the front shocks they seemed fine, now I have the rears off, they do seem pretty soft? They might be the problem?!?!?! So they are now on their way to IG Racing who service and restore Koni shocks. I am hoping that they will confirm that the rears needed rebuilding and then that could be the source for the bouncy front?!

I will update you all when I hear back from them Also I know that the fronts are usually put on their hardest setting but is that the same for the rears?

Thanks a lot

Regards Jeremy
1957 356A T1
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

I think that maybe Mike Smith has a thread on this somewhere. I believe my konis are on medium

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Cheers Neil

So hard on the front and medium on the rear?

Mike - does that sound about right?!

The shocks have only just gone off, so I have a bit of time before they go back on!

Thanks

Regards,
Jeremy
1957 356a T1
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Eric recommended the softest setting for road use when he re-built my front suspension. This was a marked improvement as it was seized solid when I bought the car; don't forget to lube those nipples. While idly bouncing our front ends at a car event mine was deemed Cadillac soft. Not sure about the rears
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Which Eric was that Hugo ?

I happen to have an Eric Studer motor in the back (supplied by PRS)

All the best

Regards,
Jeremy
1957 356a T1
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Studerman. You'll need the soft Konis at the front to match the engine
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Ok I will give that a go when I get them back

Regards,
Jeremy
1957 356a T1
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

It always seems that no two 356`s are alike so I am really a little reluctant to offer `definitive` advice.
The other problem is that Manufacturers change things – are the working guts the same today as they were 30 years ago? – I doubt it
I made an effort to work with Koni 40 years ago - at that time they were impossible to work with - are they different today?
I have no idea, but they still seem to be the one Shock that suits our cars

However, we never set them full hard

My starting point was always.
Out of the box - set them to their softest setting - they will break-in after 200 miles.
Then harden them up a little by 1/2 to one turn
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Great thanks a lot Mike

That does help me and I will try that when they come back from their rebuild at Koni

I will give an update once I have tried them out

Regards,
Jeremy
1957 356a T1