Koni steering damper for RHD 356A with VW steering box

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

roboguy
DDK Fanatic

Koni steering damper for RHD 356A with VW steering box

Post by roboguy »

Hi all,

I've been absent for a while but slowly chipping away on my resto. I am going to reassemble my front suspension / steering soon and need to get a replacement steering damper. From hunting about on this forum and the registry it looks like the Koni damper is the best option, but I did read the following on one vendor site:

"Fitment is 356A thru 356C with pitman arms applicable to the ZF steering box."

My car (RHD 57 T1) has the earlier VW steering box. Does anyone know if the Koni damper is compatible with the VW steering box?

Many thanks!
James Fitzsimons

1957 356A Coupe (RHD)
simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Koni steering damper for RHD 356A with VW steering box

Post by simon james »

The “VW to 356 Parts Interchangeability” used to state that the steering damper from a split camper would fit a 356.
I don’t think there was a distinction made between early or late cars.
Does your old one have a part number that cross references?
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.
roboguy
DDK Fanatic

Post by roboguy »

Hi Simon,

The part number is 695 347 501 00. Here's a photo:
PXL_20221025_091818045.jpg
Stoddard sells the Boge replacement, but states the turning circle is reduced. I've also read on the registry that the performance isn't as good as the Koni one, but would I even know the difference :?:
James Fitzsimons

1957 356A Coupe (RHD)
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

roboguy wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:51 am Does anyone know if the Koni damper is compatible with the VW steering box?
The parts book suggests the same damper was used for VW & ZF steering boxes
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Post by simon james »

roboguy wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:34 am Hi Simon,

The part number is 695 347 501 00. Here's a photo:

PXL_20221025_091818045.jpg

Stoddard sells the Boge replacement, but states the turning circle is reduced. I've also read on the registry that the performance isn't as good as the Koni one, but would I even know the difference :?:
I think as with most replacement parts, going from a worn out original to a new one of ANY make (or a perfect used replacement) will be an improvement…

I had this with my shock absorbers, a mishmash of different replacements, apart from the one original adjustable Koni as was fitted to the Super 90 when new.

Research showed that a set for a lowered king pin Beetle had the same open and closed length as one made for a 356, but at a FRACTION of the cost.

In the end Mike Ruddy “mycar” on this forum graciously let me have a full set of Porsche Konis that he had removed from his own 356.
My car is much improved, but Mike did say he didn’t think the new replacements (Koni) that he fitted, made much, if any difference….
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.
roboguy
DDK Fanatic

Post by roboguy »

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go with the Koni damper - I've got Koni suspension so it makes sense to match the steering damper and I'm pretty confident it'll work.
James Fitzsimons

1957 356A Coupe (RHD)
Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Post by Jeremy 356 (Jez 356) »

Hi

I am sure that when I upgraded the steering box on my 1957 356A T1 from VW to ZF, that I used a fresh version of the steering damper that I had before

Regards Jeremy
roboguy
DDK Fanatic

Post by roboguy »

Just in case anyone ever comes back to this thread wanting to know the answer - I went for the Koni damper and it appears to fit just fine.

Cheers,
James
James Fitzsimons

1957 356A Coupe (RHD)