Project Blue Book

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

chief
Married to the DDK

Re: Project Blue Book

Post by chief »

neilbardsley wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:50 am Great job as always. How did you get louvres in your engine lid. Do you think they will hellp much with cooling?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
The jury’s out on the louvres. I punched them in for aesthetics to go with the over cills.
It will allow some heat to escape but it is a bit of a dead air area behind the rear window.
You have to admit they do look cool though!
h'Project Blue Book' - 'The Red Baron' - Amber Alert!
rhd racer
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by rhd racer »

Aah! Do you need a fog light (age wise) - never had one on my ‘14?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

rhd racer wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:44 pm Aah! Do you need a fog light (age wise) - never had one on my ‘14?

Nope, just found one with the very rare factory bracket (now for sale if anyone wants it).
There will be a lot of stuff on this car that isn’t needed :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

Finished!

It's took a little while but finished now. I reproduced the heater control sticker a while ago and it's nice to finally fit it and be done.
I took the dashboard back out so I could trim the back that fits against the windscreen and seal. If I get this finished off I can bolt the dash in and the trimmer can get to the knee pad and dash top without having to disturb it.
First off I found out the old vinyl a clamped in place to see how it all worked. I decided to trim with under or scrim foam which worked quite well.

I have gone for a slightly heavier grain for the leatherette for no other reason that it's a bit out of the way so needs to stand out a little more.

Plenty of contact adhesive and the foam is all good. I decided to leave it until next week to really dry off.
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

So time to attack the Targa Top. This is fiberglass and painted in a textured black paint from the factory. After fifty years it all looking a bit tired.

As usual everything just came off. Not stuck screws or nuts. Porsche do make the right!
All the seals and rubbers had gone so hard and brittle. I am hopeful once done it will keep out the wind and rain.
Lots to refurbish. I thought i'd start on the big stuff and get tit out of the way. The top needed sanding right back and a few layers of high build primer to give me a fighting chance of getting it all level. Lots of curves to the surface so a good few hours spent on that.

A little black powder to check for low spots.

Lots of masking up of the garage just to be sure...

Silicon cleaner and tack rag then we were off to the races!

And first stage of the mission accomplished. I have all the seal and rubbers new and awaiting test fit, but first there are a lot of metal work to de-rust and paint. I will take the opportunity to put anti drum sound deadening in the roof void. This will be trimmed after, not the carpetey stuff that was glued in place from the factory.
More later....