Went for a wee spin on the m/cycle ! (21 countries & 6000 miles)

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Went for a wee spin on the m/cycle ! (21 countries & 6000 miles)

Post by Cortina »

It's simple really - every year for the last 6 or 7 , the FIM (that's the two wheel bit of the FIA to you Formula 1 fans) organise a get together for Motorcyclists. Usually a different country -the aim being a social event to "promote" motorcycling in the country that is hosting it. Max 250 people (or is it bikes ?) , 5% max from the host country - heavily sponsored by host country ... clearly hoping the the visitors will come back in the future and spend lots of money !
This year was Greece - town of Kavala (I had never heard of Kavala) ... and when I checked on location, decided since it was only a days ride from Istanbul .... well it would be rude not to visit. ............. and since we were in the area , and my wife's Grandfather had "driven" a ship at Gallopili .... it would be a shame not to visit there too ............... etc.

So it was in early Sept , that my wife and I loaded up the Goldwing and headed East ............ having never been to Poland , it was on the route , and so on it went. Got back last week , 33 days away , about 24 days riding. Could tell some stories and share some photies if anyone is interested .......... otherwise will leave you with one "piece of advice" : DON'T try driving in Istanbul traffic at evening rush hour on a heavily laden (approx) touring motorcycle, two up !!

The sponsored bit is relevant : For something like 275 Euros a head , we had 4 nights , in 5 star Hotel accomodation , with all meals and wine included , and that included daily trips out - some ferry crossings and the like. (Next year Tunisia .... never been there either !!!)
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Went for a wee spin on the m/cycle ! (21 countries & 6000 miles)

Post by 911hillclimber »

Full report expected from me.
Just done a simple (by comparison) 2 week trip through parts of France in the Boxster.
Road Trips Rule.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
andytat
DDK forever

Post by andytat »

Yes please!
I'm off to Dakar (Senegal) next month on my Yamaha T7 Tenere.
It's an organised rally loosely following the route of the original Dakar from the late 80s
when the rally went through Morocco rather than Algeria.
Was your trip invite only?
Now Porsche less and sad.
3.2 Carrera Speedster (Sold and sorely missed)
3.2 Manual Cayenne (Sold)
73 2.4S (Gone to Singapore)
75 3.0l 914 (Sold)
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

andytat wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:55 pm Yes please!
I'm off to Dakar (Senegal) next month on my Yamaha T7 Tenere.
It's an organised rally loosely following the route of the original Dakar from the late 80s
when the rally went through Morocco rather than Algeria.
Was your trip invite only?
Ok , will organise some photies (the 1010 taken is too much for me !!!) then post.
Rally is essentially wide open - google FIM Mototour of Nations 2022 , and you'll get info ref event I was at , and you'll have almost a link to 2023 event (usually around Sept time) in Tunisia (tbc).
One has to apply through local rep of an afiliated club .............. paperwork exercise. It's the best value for money out there !!
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
andytat
DDK forever

Post by andytat »

Thanks, I will look into that.

Andy
Now Porsche less and sad.
3.2 Carrera Speedster (Sold and sorely missed)
3.2 Manual Cayenne (Sold)
73 2.4S (Gone to Singapore)
75 3.0l 914 (Sold)