Track rods for 964

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

misteralz
DDK forever

Track rods for 964

Post by misteralz »

The 964 passed its APK the other week, first time, but came with a couple of advisories. One of which was a leaky front strut. It'd been an advisory the year before as well, and now my 964's over 30 it's a 2 yearly APK and as such I'd rather not present it with the same 'problem' again. So, picked up a set of barely-used Bilstein B6s. And since the springs looked grotty, I picked up a set of Eibachs. So that'll be that sorted.

The other advisory was a weep from a steering rack boot, do I picked up a pair. And then I figured that whilst I'm in there and I'm going to have to stump up for an alignment anyway, why don't I replace the track rods while I'm at it?

https://partworks.de/en-en-en-en-partwo ... mized.html

This is why! 400€ a pair! From what I can gather, they're 263mm long and are M14x1.5 at the rack end. Coincidentally, the same as a Renault Tragic. Now I know if I use the Tragic track rods, I'll need to find appropriate rod ends and possibly rack gaiters, but am I missing something here?
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: Track rods for 964

Post by rhd racer »

They are nothing like that price in the UK. I thought the quoted price seemed high as I did not cough when I replaced mine (they are aftermarket)

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt392_39 ... rack-Rods/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

They're still over £400 for both sides according to that link? And they're the weird inners that you have to set parallel to the ground, rather than 'normal' inners...
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

The Lemforder ones are priced for a pair of 2 aren’t they? The OE ones are twice as expensive and getting on for £400 posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Yeah, but the Lemforder ones are just the outers and centres. So I'd still need to replace the inners, preferably with something other than the Porsche ones that look like they're off a 2CV.