I think it might be time...

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

I think it might be time...

Post by 8bit-ash »

Other life shite has kind of got in the way and I haven't touched my 911 for two years now. The vast majority of my time has been spent fitting out the widebeam boat I foolishly bought and moved onto at the end of 2020. The boat is almost finished now but my GF (wife to be in September) is now itching to get back onto dry land. We've potentially found a house that ticks a whole load of our boxes but it needs a hell of a lot of work and it currently has no garage so with that in mind I have to be realistic and question when or if I will ever get time to finish the car. In an ideal world I would sit it out for a couple more years and by then hopefully have a garage and a nice house however if someone was to come along and take it off my hands I think I would let it go.

Its a hard one to value as I have put so much time into it, I am thinking somewhere around the £65k mark. I'd obviously love more but I'm not sure where a project like this sits. I also have no idea how much a complete RHD 911E sporto in need resto would cost as a foundation these days, i'm assuming prices have cooled somewhat.

The car is pretty much ready to start putting bits back on it with a bit of restoration of smaller parts needed along the way. The comes with Tons of new parts inc carpets and headlining.

I would also PX for an impact bumper car thats on the road but I need to free up some ££ for the potential house so i'd be looking at max £40k cars.

viewtopic.php?t=52081&start=90
1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S
2004 Audi A2 TDi 90
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: I think it might be time...

Post by Bootsy »

8bit-ash wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:29 pm Other life shite has kind of got in the way and I haven't touched my 911 for two years now. The vast majority of my time has been spent fitting out the widebeam boat I foolishly bought and moved onto at the end of 2020. The boat is almost finished now but my GF (wife to be in September) is now itching to get back onto dry land. We've potentially found a house that ticks a whole load of our boxes but it needs a hell of a lot of work and it currently has no garage so with that in mind I have to be realistic and question when or if I will ever get time to finish the car. In an ideal world I would sit it out for a couple more years and by then hopefully have a garage and a nice house however if someone was to come along and take it off my hands I think I would let it go.

Its a hard one to value as I have put so much time into it, I am thinking somewhere around the £65k mark. I'd obviously love more but I'm not sure where a project like this sits. I also have no idea how much a complete RHD 911E sporto in need resto would cost as a foundation these days, i'm assuming prices have cooled somewhat.

The car is pretty much ready to start putting bits back on it with a bit of restoration of smaller parts needed along the way. The comes with Tons of new parts inc carpets and headlining.

I would also PX for an impact bumper car thats on the road but I need to free up some ££ for the potential house so i'd be looking at max £40k cars.

viewtopic.php?t=52081&start=90
Probably worth starting a classified advert and I can the spread it via social media too for you
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

I wouldn't call this a project anymore as the bodywork & paint is now completed, isn't it? Has the engine been rebuilt yet?

I think £65K is quite a good price. Much cheaper than the white RHD '69E sporto being advertised elsewhere. Surprised it hasn't sold yet.

Anyway, if I was you, I'd sell the Boxster, Audi and Lotus, not the 911.
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

I would ditch the wife to be.....Just kidding
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Stating the obvious I think the traditional way to value such a thing (aka man maths) is to guess a final value for the finished article, subtract completion costs and required profit / safety margin: ta-daaa! Meaning that your most likely buyer is someone happy to DIY lots of the reassembly? Anyone paying full market rate for the completion labour, inc the trade, will naturally value the current version rather lower.
Any idea where the value of a completed one would sit these days? 100-ish????

The other determinant of value, in my view, is whether the buyer recognises that a Barry shell is gold standard.

For what it's worth - if you are inclined to sit it out and can make it work financially, I'd do exactly that. It's not an easily reversible transaction. Store it for a couple of years, sell something else. Not the A2, obvs (not joking, we have one, also a TdI 90 - v good car indeed).
hot66

Post by hot66 »

this will be such a wonderful cars when its finished too ... a rhd E sporto will be a great car to drive and such a rare thing
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

As it stands (assuming engine/box/sporto needs rebuild) I would say £35-£45k providing there is substantial government energy support for businesses (not domestic) announced in the next week. If not, maybe £25-£30k this winter when times get really tough.

Vicki’s lovely (non matching) totally sorted 71 (rare colour) just made £52.5k plus fees on CC and is now up for £58k (hardly a profit) on various platforms and is ready to drive and enjoy from day one. Very appealing rather than a year of re-assembly especially right now unless that is your pleasure. One could argue yours is rarer (which it is) a great colour (which it is) and rhd rather than lhd (which has appeal) and sporto (appeal?) but I think driving cars rather than projects (at the moment) are selling quicker.

I would take Richard’s advice, sit tight, finish it over time, drive, enjoy, forget about trying to regain your outlay. I have (I think).

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Here is what a finished product would look like 8)
https://youtu.be/2SK5t8_vrUw

inaglasshouse wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:30 am a Barry shell is gold standard.
+1.
8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 8bit-ash »

I had to get rid of the A2 sadly as it came a cropper to the ULEZ extension, picked up a couple of faults and a whacking great Keying down the side. I do miss the 55MPG plus though!
Back on the 911 i've decided to just put it to the back of my mind and keep it stored for a while longer. Whats the point in moving to the countryside if you haven't got a car to enjoy it in! I'll just have to concentrate on getting the garage built before sorting the house.
1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S
2004 Audi A2 TDi 90
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Sounds like a good decision in the short term 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)