Low Emission Zones -France

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Low Emission Zones -France

Post by Ian Comerford »

This is just for info and apologies if it has already been posted. A few of us are heading off to France in a couple of weeks to the Circuit des Remparts in Angouleme. One of the guys mentioned seeing the implementation of LEZs in Rouen and wondered if we could still use the usual route down. It seems the Rouen zone sits just inside the inner ring roads and so we can transit but not enter. We also tried getting a vignette but the system wouldn’t allow it due to the ages of our cars. I guess they may eventually work something our for classics in cities, but they may not. We will see
Attachments
152F7CA9-5E21-47FB-98F6-47CFC072B35A.jpeg
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Low Emission Zones -France

Post by 911hillclimber »

I think there is a lot of info about what you can and can't do on this topic on the RAC overseas travel web page, AA too.

I know the fine is intense if stopped and you do not have the right cover/sticker so best do your homework.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

In Paris it was a risk of a €68 fine so I recently used the ‘smile and wave’ method and didn’t worry about it as there was no method of getting any official sticker or exemption.
barryb
I luv DDK!

Post by barryb »

Hi
At the moment there is generally no restriction on vehicules de collection ( a vehicle more than 30 years old). The FFVA and the government are looking at a special CritAir pastilles for these vehicles but as yet no result. I would not worry about it but don't abuse the concession and remember you are not permitted to leave your engine on when not in the act of driving i.e. parked.
Hope this helps but as Gary says a smile will always help. :)
Barry
2007 Cayman
2008 Mini R56 JCW
1962 356BT6 Cabriolet
1964 356C Coupé
1960 MGA 1600
1950 MG TD
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster
Member# 661
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

That possible 30 year exemption was only for French registered vehicles, so still wouldn’t help us lot even if it comes in.

As you said I tried not to abuse the process too much and drove in early Thursday morning (not allowed after 8am) and got to the hotel about 9am, then left the car there till Sunday (which is ok to drive) then drove out Monday morning (not allowed!)…
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Crit'Air clean air stickers – your guide for driving in France
Crit'Air clean air stickers – your guide for driving in France
10th Jun 2022
ShareFacebookTwitterLinkedInEmail

Where do I buy a Crit’Air sticker?
In January 2017, the French government introduced 'clean air' windscreen stickers as a legal requirement in some of its cities. These identify a vehicle’s emissions levels and, in some cases, restrict access in order to improve air quality.
British drivers heading to France this summer are advised that driving without a French 'clean air' sticker, called a Crit'Air vignette – which costs just €4.51 (including postage) per vehicle – makes them culpable for an on-the-spot fine of up to €135.

Although there were changes made in the summer of 2019, the French government has slightly updated the Crit’Air Scheme for a post-pandemic era.

To make sure you’re as clued up as possible about all things Crit’Air before your trip to France, here’s everything you need to know.

French 'clean air' stickers (Crit'Air vignettes)
critair

What are French 'clean air' vignettes?
French clean air stickers – called Crit’Air vignettes – form a multi-category sticker system that’s used to identify a vehicle’s air pollutant emissions. The least polluting vehicles are afforded preferential parking and traffic conditions and they cover the vehicle for its entire lifetime.

There are six categories in the Crit’Air vignette system. These range from green for the cleanest through to dark grey for the dirtiest and relate to Euro emissions standards.

Crit'Air categories
Green – Crit’Air E (zero emissions – electric and hydrogen vehicles)
Purple – Crit’Air 1 (gas and rechargeable hybrid vehicles)
Yellow – Crit’Air 2 (Euro 5 and Euro 6 vehicles)
Orange – Crit’Air 3 (Euro 4 vehicles)
Burgundy – Crit’Air 4 (Euro 3 vehicles)
Dark Grey – Crit’Air 5 (Euro 2 vehicles)
Why have Crit'Air stickers been introduced?
The system has been introduced by the French government as a way to reduce harmful vehicle emissions in areas where air quality is poorest, such as larger towns and cities.

In these areas, certain vehicles can be refused entry based on the Crit’Air sticker displayed on the windscreen – either all the time or on certain days where air pollution levels are dangerously high.

Do I need a Crit’Air vignette?
All eligible vehicles need to display a Crit’Air vignette on their windscreen to be able to drive and park in restricted traffic zones, such as permanent low-emissions zones and emergency low-emissions zones.

Not all vehicles are eligible for the vignettes. Cars registered before January 1997 and motorbikes and scooters registered before June 2000 are ineligible, and cannot be driven at all where restrictions apply.

Restrictions are also in place for trucks and buses registered before 2001.

European Breakdown Cover
Get covered when driving in Europe for less than £5.79 per day.*

Get a quote
What areas does Crit’Air affect?
There are currently two different types of government-defined low emissions zones in France:

Permanent low-emission zones (known as ZCR – Zone à Circulation Restreinte)
Temporary emergency low-emissions zones (known as ZPA – Zone de la Protection de l’Air)
Here, Crit’Air stickers should be affixed on the right-hand side of the car’s windscreen and should be clearly visible at all times.

The above signs indicate where a ZCR starts and finishes

French low emission zones (ZCR)
Permanent low-emissions zones (known as ZCRs) restrict access (both for driving and parking) to certain vehicles based on their Crit’Air vignette, only allowing access for those displaying a certain category.

These restrictions are in place permanently (usually between certain hours and/or on certain days) and all vehicles seeking entry will need to physically display a sticker regardless of their category, or risk landing a fine.

As of July 2019, ZCRs are currently implemented in the following three French cities: Grenoble, Paris and Strasbourg.

Crit’Air Grenoble - Grenoble low-emissions zone
Established in January 2017, the Grenoble ZCR covers the vast majority of the Alpine city and is imposed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

As of April 2019, only light commercial vehicles and trucks displaying Crit’Air vignettes E, 1, 2, 3 and 4 are allowed to enter the city. The restrictions do not stretch to private cars, although it’s possible this will change in the future.

Crit’Air Paris - Paris low-emissions zone
The French capital actually has two permanent low-emissions zones in place – the Greater Paris ZCR and the Central Paris ZCR.

The Central Paris ZCR (also known as the City of Paris ZCR) was France’s first low-emissions zone. The ZCR was introduced back in September 2015 and currently covers the entire area within the Boulevard Périphérique ring-road.

Since 1 July 2019, more stringent rules have been introduced in the ZCR, meaning that only vehicles displaying Crit’Air vignettes E, 1, 2 and 3 are allowed to enter the city between 0800 and 2000, Monday to Friday.

The Greater Paris ZCR (also known as a ZPE - Zone à Faibles Emissions) is a permanent low-emissions zone established in July 2019 that largely corresponds to the area within the city’s A86 ‘outer’ ring road.

As of July 2019, only 47 of the 79 municipalities within this area have adopted the emissions zone, leading to a patchwork of different emissions standards across Greater Paris. It is anticipated that all 79 will have signed up by 2021.

In participating areas, only vehicles displaying Crit’Air vignettes E, 1, 2, 3 and 4 are allowed to enter between 0800 and 2000 from Monday to Friday. From 2021, both of Paris’s two ZCRs are scheduled to impose the same restrictions.

This rule applies to all vehicles, including those from the UK. If you're caught in the French capital breaking this ban, you risk a fine of up to €68 for cars and motorbikes, or €135 if you're driving a truck.

Find out more about your Euro emissions standard and whether your vehicle is affected, below.

In addition to this, the vast majority of the Central Paris ZCR and the Greater Paris ZCR are also located in the Paris ZPA, meaning even stricter restrictions can be imposed temporarily during episodes of dangerously high air pollution.

Crit’Air Strasbourg - Strasbourg low-emissions zone
The Strasbourg ZCR relates solely to commercial vehicles, and restricts the access of certain lorries and light goods vehicles into the city centre between certain hours.

Driving in Europe checklist
Top 10 tips for driving through France
Electric cars – the ultimate guide

French emergency low emission zone (ZPA)
As opposed to ZCRs, emergency low emissions zones (known as ZPAs) are temporary restrictions imposed on certain vehicles. These are implemented in certain locations when there is a risk of dangerously high air pollution levels.

These areas tend to be significantly larger than the permanent zones, and all vehicles must display a vignette when public announcements dictate that restrictions are in place, or face a fine.

As of July 2019, there are currently 28 areas where emergency low emission zones are implemented during certain conditions:

France ZPA zones
Paris
Annecy
Chambery
Arve Valley
Côte d’Or/Dijon
Creuse/Guéret
Deux-Sèvres/Niort
Drôme/Valence
Eure-et-Loir/Chartres
Gers/Auch
Gironde/Bordeaux
Grenoble
Haute-Savoie/Annecy
Hérault/Montpelier
Isère/Grenoble
Lille
Loiret/Orléans
Lyon
Maine-et-Loire
Marseille
Puy-de-Dome/Clermont Ferrand
Pyrénées-Atlantiques
Rennes
Savoie/Chambery
Strasbourg
Toulouse
Vendée/La Rouche-sur-Yon
Vienne/Poitiers
However, this situation could change quickly as more cities and departments introduce low-emission zones in response to weather conditions, so check the Urban Access Regulations website before setting off.

How much are Crit'Air vignettes?

The cost of a Crit’Air vignette varies depending on where you buy one. Within France, the stickers cost €3.62 (including postage) whereas from the UK a vignette is €3.11 plus of the cost of international postage.

Be aware: The French government warns of third-party scam websites that significantly overcharge unsuspecting motorists looking to buy a vignette, so be vigilant and only use the official Crit’Air website when purchasing.

Driving in France Kit from £24.99
Did you know you could be fined up to €530 for not carrying the right kit with you in France?

Shop now
Driving in France Kit from £24.99
Where do I buy a Crit’Air sticker?
You should apply online for a Crit’Air vignette on the official French government website.

In order to apply, research your car's European Emissions Standard using our helpful table but if you’re still unsure contact your vehicle manufacturer.

You’ll also need to upload an image or scan of your vehicle's V5C registration form. This must be uploaded in JPEG, PNG or PDF format and the file size must be under 400KB.

Be aware: The ordering process of a vignette can take up to six weeks so make sure you factor this in before you travel and plan accordingly ahead of time.

Crit'Air frequently asked questions
What vehicles are affected by Crit'Air?
Do I need an emissions certificate to drive in France?
Do I need a permit to drive in Paris?
Do I need a permit to drive in Lyon?
Do I need a Crit’Air sticker for Disneyland Paris?
Do I need a Crit’Air sticker for France?
Are diesel cars allowed in Paris?
Can I buy a Crit’Air sticker in France?
What happens if I don't buy a Crit'Air vignette?
Fines of between €68 and €135 (£59 and £117) are in place for vehicles that don't display an appropriate sticker and/or are driven in restricted zones when they shouldn't.

The RAC understands that around 1 in 10 French vehicles are too old to get a sticker – with certain older models not even assigned a category. These cars are not permitted to drive in Paris between 8am and 8pm, Monday to Friday.

These include cars registered before 1997, motorbikes and scooters registered before June 2000, and trucks and buses from before 2001 – the main offenders in terms of emissions.

If you're driving to France make sure to read our driving in France advice page to brush up on other law changes and find out exactly what documents you need to take with you. It's worth purchasing European breakdown cover before your journey, which will cover you if your vehicle breaks down in France.

How long does a Crit'Air sticker last?
A Crit'Air vignette is valid for the lifetime of the vehicle. This means that as long as the sticker is legible, it's valid.

European Breakdown Cover
Get covered when driving in Europe for less than £5.79 per day*

Get a quote
Motoring news
Air quality
ShareFacebookTwitterLinkedInEmail
*Price for 7 days’ Comprehensive Cover for a vehicle between 1-4 years old in zone 1.

*Price for 7 days’ Comprehensive Cover for a vehicle between 1-4 years old in zone 1.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Sam

Post by Sam »

It’s not a huge deal to bypass Rouen. It seems a shame to go against the whole concept of the thing for the sake of a brief detour.

I went past Reims over the summer and had to add 10 minutes to my route. I survived.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Indeed, in a forthcoming French tour in the Boxster, we had to 'go around' Strasbourg.
Just avoid the Big Places as a general rule and all is well.
The zones are all well advertised.
A few years back we nearly cancelled a hotel by Le Mans because the area was under the zone locally, found out the locals new nothing about it and the limits were only imposed if the weather/quality of air registered on the Mayor's house!
We return there this year on Tour. :)

I'm just weary of over zealous Gendarmes.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I'm now confused we drove right into Paris without any issues. Were we lucky

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Issue-free motoring in France is probably correct, just as you and Gary found in obviously old cars.
In the UK there are few road police of any sort to stop you on the road side, same in France.

Cameras are all over the place in both countries, and the issue i doubt will be triggering alarms, speeding will though!

I would be relaxed about it, just do all you can to be compliant but this is the right approach when travelling abroad by car anyway.
Things do change though.
In France you must have a First Aid kit in the car. I don't remember that rule 4 years ago.

I have a secret weapon anyway, my wife speaks fluent French, and is FAR more charming than me. :lol:
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

IIRC, As well as the first aid kit you must have a breathalyser, or was it 20 Gauloises? One or the other maybe?
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Yes, the list goes on, but sensible too.

Yellow HiVis x 2 inside the car
First Aid kit
Breath test (might have been dropped!)
Bulb kit
Road incident triangle
All correct documents which inc the original V5
Correct country sticker on number plates or back of car

NO means of tracing speed cameras, be careful of your Sat Nav.

Bet there are more things
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
barryb
I luv DDK!

Post by barryb »

Hi
Breathalysers requirement was dropped years ago. Most sat navs for France now indicate danger zones for speed cameras, you can usually set length for zone, certainly on my Tom Tom.

Barry
2007 Cayman
2008 Mini R56 JCW
1962 356BT6 Cabriolet
1964 356C Coupé
1960 MGA 1600
1950 MG TD
Member# 661
hot66

Post by hot66 »

yes, Waze had safety zones this year .. which basically you soon realised the camera was 1/2 way through the 'safety zone ' . As far as I'm aware, it doesnt matter about the fixed cameras these day s as the agreement to share data has stopped .. what does matter is getting pulled by the actual police as you dont have any chance of getting away with it .

Think only one of our group for CLM got pulled this year, but then we were sensible on the big roads and only really opened the carss up on the small twisty stuff
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
barryb
I luv DDK!

Post by barryb »

Hi

Also remember we now have mobile speed cameras in cars that just drive about randomly looking forward and back. The drivers are contracted and have no input other than driving a set route at set speeds.

Barry
2007 Cayman
2008 Mini R56 JCW
1962 356BT6 Cabriolet
1964 356C Coupé
1960 MGA 1600
1950 MG TD
Member# 661