Get plugged in

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

silverboydreamer
DDK addict

Get plugged in

Post by silverboydreamer »

When I finished the resto of my 6volt T6 B approx 3 summer’s ago I changed for new the leads and plugs on the engine and refurbed the carbs, the distributor and fuel pump, all seemed well but over time the starting, running and tick over all had wobbles. Particularly starting but I had over that time developed a procedure to get the engine started within 3-4 try’s, except when it was cold and or damp but it’s not a given.

The tick over went was up and down, mainly after coming to rest for lights or junction’s etc, my conclusion was the distributor so I replaced it with a 123 distributor and all seemed ok for a short period but the old trouble came back. I went over all joint’s and greased them and by chance discovered the accelerator pivot was a little loose on the shaft, whereupon I took it off the shaft to discover the plastic interior sleeves had disappeared ( a known problem apparently), I inserted new ones and the sticking tick over problem disappeared.

Finally the engine has always been strong on acceleration but in the background you could just feel a slight hesitation as it acceleratorated and when at a constant speed, not enough to effect to running of the engine but it was always there. The situation niggled me and I saw a post in DDK about a cds unit similar to the 911 version that a member posted, this seemed to be an avenue to take, upon enquiry none were available for a couple of months so I had to wait and went off in the 356 to LeMans and back.
A couple of weeks ago I was watching the tv program ‘Bangers and Cash’ and they had a problem with a rough engine tick over and the old guy said it needed a new set of plugs and it would be as right as rain, they changed the plugs and he was right. This for me was a lightbulb moment as it might prove to be the answer to my niggle, so took out the Bosch plugs and I put in a set of NGK BP6HS plugs which are the correct heat range, the result has been astonishing. Virtual instant startup both when the engine is cold ( after getting the oil light off) and hot and no more hesitation in background on engine during acceleration or running, for £20 I seemed to have solved the problem. I am at a loss as to why the Bosch plugs performed so poorly as I have only done 4k miles since installing them but what the hell I now have a sweeter running engine that at the moment starts and runs well and I am will be interested to see if it stays the same when it’s cold and damp.
Food for thought!!
Ausfahrt mine Auspuff
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Get plugged in

Post by KS »

There are a lot of fake Bosch (and NGK) plugs on the market. Be careful where you buy them...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

I use the NGK 6 plugs too. I'm very happy with them. I did have one fail on me once but other than that many happy miles of service.

If you want to get very keen you can make sure the gap in the plug is pointing towards the in valve :)

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
hot66

Post by hot66 »

wish all fixes were that easy :lol: . Great news and yes always shows a lot of the times its the simple things
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Post by simon james »

I had a Karmann Beetle from 1995 to 2001.
In that time I had to rebuild the engine.
As a matter of course it received a set of new Spark Plugs from German & Swedish in Leeds.
The car ran ok for a while, but slowly developed a horrible rough tickover.
I initially assumed the worst, Burnt Valves.
My dad kept saying “Have you checked your Spark Plugs?”
Eventually, out of desperation I bought a set of Champion Plugs.
The ones I took out were less than six months old and being Bosch, I thought they’d be great.
Turns out they were “Made in India”.
The “Champions” lived up to their name.
The car ran great after that!
That’s the one car I regret selling!!!
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.