Starter motor check

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Peter Roberts
Married to the DDK

Starter motor check

Post by Peter Roberts »

Have my first problem since the restoration. Had starter motor and dynamo overhauled during the rebuild and have had no problems. Although still 6v i can leave the car for several weeks and it still flies the engine overand fires up with no problem. However this week the starter motor just goes click. First job will be checking battery connections and earths but i may have to get to the starter motor.
Getting at the starter is a pain so can somone help. if i take off some of the cables/ petro pipes etc can i drop the engine and box( by taking out the bolts on the gearbox u bracket) sufficiently to check the starter motor and connections. I do not want to drop the engine even though it is pretty straightforward.
I have rocked the car back and fore in gear so it is not a jammed starter
356SC
911T
Wide bodied 3.2 Carrera Targa ( cashing in pension now sold)
928GTS (now sold)
Carrera C4S ( now sold)
Carrera 4 with Techart ( now sold)
944 race carfor track days ( Now sold )
1978 Mini Clubman Estate restoration complete
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Starter motor check

Post by roy mawbey »

Peter,

1). If the 6v battery has not been charged for a while do that first.
2). Check the battery connections and make sure the earth strap connection the battery floor is good.

3). You do not have to remove the engine to remove the starter. If you can raise the back of the car and support on axle stands ( under the ends of the torsion bars ) then with the r/h wheel removed you can get under and check the starter connections. The solinoid connection might be loose for example. Make sure all is looking good.
4), If you look towards the gearbox end there is an earth strap going from the transmission cover to the chassis just check its okay.

5). To remove the starter unclip the wiring loom to give more room and remove the starter negative on the battery the bottom nut on the starter is quite easy to remove but the top one is a long bolt and the nut is inside the engine compartment its one of the bolts holding in the engine. you might need someone to hold it still to remove.

When installing the long bolt fix it place on top of the starter body by a piece of blutac so it does not move when you try to re-insert.

Hope its only a recharge needed !!

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

So been there. As Rob says the starter can be removed and inspected. Solenoids can be changed. Just 2 bolts in the starter and about £30 for a new one. However, it's a pain. I would suggest that after cleaning all the contacts if that doesn't help that you put in a relay, by the starter, that draws current for the solenoid directly via the main cable to the battery not via the ignition switch. This has transformed my starting issues. Happy to talk you through it on the phone if that helps

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

As Roy says check the battery first

You can test the starter in situ; I connected jump leads one to the battery, one to the starter then join in the middle being careful of sparks

Like Neil I found a relay solved my problem. You can buy them ready wired or diy for a few quid. I used a Joe Leoni article in the 356 (registry) technical guide compilation to make one up
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
Peter Roberts
Married to the DDK

Post by Peter Roberts »

Thanks you all for the replies.
During the refurb everything was changed or reconditioned. An oversize 6V battery was installed and a battery cut out switch that i disconnect everytime the car is garaged. This is both an anti theft device and ensures that the battery does not leak any power as the car is used infrequently. Over the last 12 months it has always turned the engine over quickly even if the car is not used for several weeks. i also put double earth straps on , one is the standard fit and another from the starter motor bolt to the gearbox U bolt bracket. To date i have been pleased that i did not upgrade to 12V.
i have checked the Battery end and all is secure and clean so i now have to go to the starter motor end and take your advice on going in through thr rear wheel arch. I remember it was a pain when i was reconnecting the leads to the motor and that was with the engine out. I like the idea of the solenoid and depending what i find i might do that anyway as it is well within my capabilities.
I will keep you posted on what i find and thanks again for your help so far
356SC
911T
928GTS (now sold)
Carrera C4S ( now sold)
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Peter just turn on the headlights before you start work on it they should of course be very bright Then with them on turn the ignition to start do they then dim right down?

Roy
Peter Roberts
Married to the DDK

Post by Peter Roberts »

Why did i not think of that. Headlights very bright ( yes they are LED's) turn key and they dim slightly but no click from the starter solenoid so it looks like back wheel off and a check on the connections. Dont suspect the solenoid itself as unit was fully reconditioned during the restoration but who knows
356SC
911T
928GTS (now sold)
Carrera C4S ( now sold)
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

You can do this without removing the back wheel.

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Peter Roberts
Married to the DDK

Post by Peter Roberts »

Now got underneath to do some checks. When installed because the lead from the solenoid was such a pig to get to i fiiter a short cale to the solenoid when the engine was fitted. it was then esy to connect to the loom. I have just run a cable to this connection straight back to the battery. When i touch the cable onto the battery terminal it sparks showing that current is running but there is no click from the solenoid. A proverbial thump with a hammer on the starter motor also has not made a difference. Battery is 3/4 charged according to my charger so that should be enough to activate the atarter. Looks like its a starter motor out job AGHHHHHHH
356SC
911T
928GTS (now sold)
Carrera C4S ( now sold)
Peter Roberts
Married to the DDK

Post by Peter Roberts »

i am now very embarrased after doing all the checks as listed above. i had tried to start it with headlights on and on turning the key the headlights only dimmed slightly which suggested battery charge was ok. However despite my charged showing it 3/4 charged i left it charge for an hour. Result was engine spun over and fired up immediately. Cannot believe this as i sometimes leave the car for weeks with the cut out switch preventing any drain and it starts immediately. I used the car for a good run only a week ago so there was no way i could believe it was the battery. It may be an intermttent fault so not raising my hopes to much but i will leave it for a few days and see if it starts ok. In the meantime thank you all for your input.
PS now working on some sticky calipers on my 911T. The joy of keeping these old things roadworthy is what makes them so enjoyable. Just as well i do all my own repairs otherwise it would not be fun and pretty expensive.
356SC
911T
928GTS (now sold)
Carrera C4S ( now sold)
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Well done Peter, pleased you tried again before going further !!

Roy