NOW SOLD - 1979 Porsche 911SC Targa

Porsche Cars classifieds (and DDK'ers other cars that need to go in the pursuit of Porsche Paradise!)

Moderators: Helen, Bootsy

Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

NOW SOLD - 1979 Porsche 911SC Targa

Post by Burma-Shave »

NOW SOLD

Hello, this is my June 1979 911SC Targa in Oak Green Metallic with black trims, matching numbers with Mike Bainbridge engine and transmission rebuild, Bilstein suspension, Wevo engine mounts and authentic 1979 911sc green tartan seats in excellent condition.

It is a wonderfully rust free California import but euro-spec, purchased initially in Germany. Cosmetically it is a bit sunburned and shabby, mechanically it is great. It is the perfect car to drive anywhere, park anywhere, and to not try too hard. If you prefer, it would be an easy car to repaint and refresh the interior. I have painted the bonnet (it was too far gone) and engine cover, so it is only doors wings and connecty bits that need painting. Oak green metallic is such a cool colour too. But, please don’t.

The car was purchased new in 1979 from the Otto Glockler Porsche-VW dealership in Frankfurt. A few years later it was exported to California where it remained, in Manteca, until it was bought by a Dutch classic car house, from whom I bought it, and, in another of my frequent what-was-I-thinking moments, driven home on nothing more than enthusiasm, an expired California blue plate and presumed approval from the Universe.

It drove surprisingly well, but turned out to have broken head studs, and so went to Mike Bainbridge Engineering for engine and, because its Mike, transmission rebuild also, at 178,000 miles. He confirmed that this was not the engine’s first rebuild.

I have fitted new green Bilsteins all round and turbo tie-rods. It has a blower bypass and oil fed tensioners.

It has a moto-lita wheel and a wooden ball gearknob. It has a fiberglass flat rear lid with a high brake light, the original lid with whaletail included. It has two keys and a period blaupunkt radio cassette and the electric aerial works with astonishing reliability. It has a plastic dash cap which fits in really well and is not really noticeable. It is on correct for 911 lipped 6 and 7 cookie cutters (so, not from a 944). The roof is serviceable but is scruffy – I don’t fold it any more, but stash it unfolded, upright behind the front seats (yes it fits! Top tip..). It has wheelarch liners, before I fitted them I stuck loads of Tectyl into her spidery crevices.

It has been to Spa classic, and around the track there, and around the ring, it has done 140 down the Autobahn, it has been up and down the alps with the roof off most of the time, and very recently it has been driven to, and around, and back from Croft. It always starts, hot or cold. It’s a wee cracker.

I have changed oil and filter regularly and done the valve clearances, replaced battery last year, last brake fluid change before croft.
Other jobs to do are an intermittent clock and fuel gauge, and I am in a fankle with getting the heater sorted after fitting used SSIs and a new Dansk back box so I just have the pipes disconnected – it’s a summer car anyway :)

All in, this is an affordable and groovy aircooled Porsche 911, with a nice history and link to Glockler. It is really incredibly structurally solid and original, has zero rust, new suspension, recent engine and gearbox rebuild by one of the best. There are going to be no expensive surprises. It is cool and different to the rest, as-is with its patina, or a great choice for an enjoyable light resto. But, please don’t.

The car is an hour North of Edinburgh. Happy to answer questions or add pics, please PM me.

ImageIMG_20170522_150614
'89 964 C4 - staying. '78 928 manual - going actually.
And..'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '17 Yamaha XSR700. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100RT scrambler.

Member#0336