Rear Camber

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

chris68
DDK slapper chatter

Rear Camber

Post by chris68 »

Hi All,

Noticed my car is running too much rear negative camber (about -2.5 deg each side). Rear toe is spot on. Car is running 195 x 65 x 15 tyres on 6 x 15 rims rear and 5.5 x 15 front. Adjusting the camber eccentric doesn't seem to bring about much of a reduction. I'm aiming for about 1 deg negative.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Suggestions welcome.

Note, I agree that I really need to take it across to Centre of Gravity but would like to get it close myself (just because I'm wired that way :wink: ).

Cheers
'68 swb 911L
'62 Lotus 22
100cc Historic Karts
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Rear Camber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Chris, Gary71 used a local company to him Derbyshire area who did the full geo on his fresh 73T.
All the same suspension tweek areas and he was happy. Maybe contact him by pm?
Also, iirc when I DIY'd my 73T I set the rear using a Dunlop camber gauge for the camber, and string for the toe.

The toe eccentric needs to be 'just' nipped along with the 2 bolts on the end of the spring plate before the camber eccentric will do anything must move a little when loose.

I set the camber first and then the toe.
Tighten the lot and go back and check/adjust if out.
I took 3 iterations before I was happy and had the same geo both sides.

None of this is a quick DIY job, a ramp must allow the job to be done in a 1/4 of the time or less.

Just remembered these pics off Gary's thread:

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Definitely make sure all the surrounding bolts are just lose as Graham says. Taking the load off the wheel as you adjust can help, although that’s obviously an issue if you’ve got the alignment gear fitted!

It’s cheshire rather than Derbyshire, but it’s close ;)
chris68
DDK slapper chatter

Post by chris68 »

Many thanks Graham and Gary. I'm following your suggestions for eccentric and clamping bolt nuts just nipped while adjusting. Also setting camber eccentric first and then toe. Just can't seem to reduce the excessive negative camber very much :-? . Think I'll take for a short run, let things settle out and then measure again. Like you say, will take a few iterations to get it right.

Cheers :salute:
'68 swb 911L
'62 Lotus 22
100cc Historic Karts
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

I couldn't’ adjust mine until I realised that I had forgotten to loosen the 2 bolts that tie the hub to the spring plate :oops:
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Yep, all those bolts need to be loose and the faces between the parts clean to allow slippage.
Camber angles being the same both sides is tedious to achieve and I was perhaps lucky, or my measurement accuracy a bit iffy...
Once set and tight, the toe is easy as the arm should slip over the camber eccentric.
Slightly nip the two bolts up and tap the arm until the toe is bang on and both sides equal.
Your tyres and braking will be so much better.
Torque everything to spec.
Finally, I Mark up the associated parts as a reference to see if anything has moved during shake down runs after.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9