Changing Cars

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Changing Cars

Post by jeremyg »

KS wrote:Well, I guess we're going to have to pay you a visit sometime soon - Sarah's dying to see the garden, but my eyes might be diverted elsewhere... ;)

Glad WC took care of you.
Yes you must come in - we just had our NGS opening which seemed to go pretty well so it’s looking fab @theoldbarngardeners
Now taking a few days off though, actually using it to relax in! Weird Eh?
hot66

Post by hot66 »

love it ... from one extreme to another in one swift move :lol: :cheers: 8) ( 356 to GT3 )

Timely reminder to us all to get out there and enjoy the things we love.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

What a fantastic read Jeremy, life can throw a few curve balls at you. But its great to hear you and the bride are enjoying both cars. Both the easy cars and the 996 GT3 are something really special.

We all need to make sure we pile the miles on and make them memories.
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

KS wrote: but my eyes might be diverted elsewhere... ;)
Careful - I've heard him say things like that before and it never ends well
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Congratulations and thanks for posting Jeremy.
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

Hi Jeremy, hope you both stay well and continue to enjoy your cars. Gen 1 GT3 is a great choice - good for you! Best wishes, Robert
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

hot66 wrote:love it ... from one extreme to another in one swift move :lol: :cheers: 8) ( 356 to GT3 )

Timely reminder to us all to get out there and enjoy the things we love.
Quite right..
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

one-two wrote:Hi Jeremy, hope you both stay well and continue to enjoy your cars. Gen 1 GT3 is a great choice - good for you! Best wishes, Robert
We certainly aim to Robert, and great that it gets your endorsement. Thanks
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

inaglasshouse wrote:Congratulations and thanks for posting Jeremy.
Thanks - Only too pleased to!
jeremyg

Changing Cars

Post by jeremyg »

johnM wrote:What a fantastic read Jeremy, life can throw a few curve balls at you. But its great to hear you and the bride are enjoying both cars. Both the easy cars and the 996 GT3 are something really special.

We all need to make sure we pile the miles on and make them memories.
I like that as a life goal John - ‘pile the miles on and make them memories’! Thanks
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

Great tales Jeremy & Trish, enjoy France and restored good health. We've failed to cross the channel in ours, in 17 years, and it a LHD! Isabel leaves her partnership this week, and we've sold her modern, so the 356 is to be her everyday car......I particularly admire your well managed temptation. W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Winston Teague wrote:Great tales Jeremy & Trish, enjoy France and restored good health. We've failed to cross the channel in ours, in 17 years, and it a LHD! Isabel leaves her partnership this week, and we've sold her modern, so the 356 is to be her everyday car......I particularly admire your well managed temptation. W
Great car your 356 - I remember following you on the first flat four run. It’ll make a wonderful daily and bring much joy as it gets seen regularly by the wider world. Do take it abroad some time though. The reception a touring 356 gets in Europe is very uplifting!
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

Heartwarming story. Thanks for sharing. All the best to you both.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

210bhp wrote:Heartwarming story. Thanks for sharing. All the best to you both.

Regards
Mike
Thanks very much Mike. Appreciated.
jeremyg

Changing Cars

Post by jeremyg »

I wondered whether to start a new thread, but as I pretty quickly subtitled this one as being about ‘life’ anyway, I figured this story just continued on…

…and I’d also said we geriatrics were about to jump in a GT3 and strike out for the South of France.

First of all though some prep, some of which could be useful if you’re planning the same.

We were planning to use the toll autoroutes to get down there quickest, but as it’s peak Euro holiday time we thought we’d try to speed up the toll péage routine by investing in a fast lane electronic pass. If you Google the website Emovis you’ll find Emovis UK Tag Ltd. They’re really helpful sorting you out and within a couple of days we received the tag which fixes easily enough behind the mirror.

It has a slot in one end which, following instructions, neatly fits into the unit’s base that is stuck on to the windscreen (with removable adhesive strip). Basically when you’ve activated the device on their website, it should then beep as you approach the toll barrier, which should then magically lift letting you through and debiting your account at the same time… That’s the theory. We’ll see.

On the other side of the windscreen is a Crit Air sticker from Certificat-air.gouv.fr . We didn’t know if we’d end up in larger French cities yet, but if we did we’d be covered for emissions payments based on type of car.

The other prep I wanted to do before leaving was to pick a few CDs for the odd bit of in-car entertainment when we weren’t listening to the Mezger flat 6.

My old C4S had a wonderful Bose system. A dealer once told me the Porsche equivalent is just as good. Bollocks. The GT3 has a Porsche CD-R 22 radio, with the CD racks beneath. I haven’t had one since early Boxster days. You’d have laughed watching me trying to put a CD into every crevice that might be the CD slot. Could I remember how the bloody thing worked?

Eventually, with no manual to follow I gave up. Trish found the answer on some random forum. Top right button. Press. Bloody thing pops open.

Sorted. So, nearly ready, we loaded up an oldies kit for the adventure. Couple of picnic chairs, couple of bags of clothes and stuff, hats, walking stick in case my arthritis plays up and I can’t manage any unanticipated hotel stairs and a slightly augmented tool kit as I don’t trust a car with no spare tyre to be sorted by Tyre-Weld alone!

And we were off. I’d brimmed the tank with 99 octane the night before, after a consultation with our bank manager. It’ll be interesting to see what the mpg really can be on a Gen 1 GT3.

After a good first stint, we stopped for a Starbucks coffee at the services and I freaked.

The fuel tank gauge must be broken. I’ve done 100 miles and it hasn’t moved. There’s always some curve ball surprise isn’t there? That’s going to be a nightmare through France.

Trish takes over, and I keep asking - has it moved yet? It wasn’t until half way round the M25 that it budged. Oh what a happy man. We celebrated by stopping at the glorious Clacket Lane services and having our first ever use of the GT3 sandwich bar. France here we come.