Getting a car that isn't a 911

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: Getting a car that isn't a 911

Post by RobFrost »

Sam wrote:I don’t think the M5 is quite enough of an occasion.
I do really fancy an XK, but aesthetically it’d have to be the 120.
When did Growlers get to be £70k? I’m sure they were £40k last time I looked!
The downside to the FF is its size. The 599 is actually a reasonable size for regular use.
My bro has a concours xk120 he might sell. Bright yellow, lhd, just sits in his garage.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

Sam wrote:The best laid plans of mice and men oft gang a bit delayed.
You are not wrong there! The answer to the question - if it was a question - is a Cayman. 100%
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by gridgway »

Or an Emira, really kicking the cayman into the weeds in the reviews!
Sam

Post by Sam »

gridgway wrote:Or an Emira, really kicking the cayman into the weeds in the reviews!
Which reviews?

Andrew Frankel prefers the Cayman and A110, Stuart Gallagher too and Car magazine.

Matt Prior decided to delay even comparing it to those two cars, which I’m sure he wouldn’t do if he preferred it.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Harry of course!
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

I wonder how much road test results are influenced by the need to generate motor industry advertising revenue / YouTube clicks
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Mustang.

Quite a few models and engines to choose from and RHD since last few years, special editions like Bullit. Wonderful to drive, smiles all around, and sound magnificent. Plenty of room for the kids. A lot of bang for your buck.... I have an older LHD and absolutely love it..

:cyclopsani: :bounce:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
sladey

Post by sladey »

Sam wrote:
gridgway wrote:Or an Emira, really kicking the cayman into the weeds in the reviews!
Which reviews?

Andrew Frankel prefers the Cayman and A110, Stuart Gallagher too and Car magazine.

Matt Prior decided to delay even comparing it to those two cars, which I’m sure he wouldn’t do if he preferred it.
I assumed Graham was being funny. Harry is the only one who wasn’t negative about it but he’s also the only one that didn’t compare it to anything else. Which would be great if there were nothing else on sale. I think it looks great. But 300KG too heavy and without anything to make up for it other than it’s looks.
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Yup! I'm very grumpy about it, I wanted it to be so good :roll:
Sam

Post by Sam »

sladey wrote:
Sam wrote:
Which reviews?

I assumed Graham was being funny. Harry is the only one who wasn’t negative about it but he’s also the only one that didn’t compare it to anything else. Which would be great if there were nothing else on sale. I think it looks great. But 300KG too heavy and without anything to make up for it other than it’s looks.
Aaaah. I feel silly.

I’m not particularly into the looks as it goes. Your A110 has something special, kind of jewel-like about it, a Cayman is perfectly proportioned and incredibly well packaged and put together. The Emira is neither of these things.

If you rocked up to a car show and parked your new Emira next to an A110 you’d feel very, very short changed I think.

Anyway.

I’m not getting one.

Or an A110 or a Cayman.

But I am, hopefully, fingers-crossed, all being well, going to rock up to CLM in something that isn’t a Porsche.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

The only sensible alternative to a 911 is a Cayman. Buy something else by all means, but it won't look as good, drive as well or be worth as much when you're finished with it. Not sure why you would do it really, but it takes all sorts
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

one-two wrote:The only sensible alternative to a 911 is a Cayman. Buy something else by all means, but it won't look as good, drive as well or be worth as much when you're finished with it. Not sure why you would do it really, but it takes all sorts
I'll have to completely disagree. There's a plethora of fabulous sports cars out there, young and old for every occasion. From triumph spitfires to McLarens. Dare I say it, the Porsche versus the world debate is somewhat myopic.

Hope a different point of view is ok.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Porsches are definitely the best cars if you conduct a spreadsheet analysis. But it’s sometimes fun to pop life’s spreadsheet in the bin and stick on some loud music.
sladey

Post by sladey »

Sam wrote:
sladey wrote:
Sam wrote: Which reviews?

Aaaah. I feel silly.

I’m not particularly into the looks as it goes. Your A110 has something special, kind of jewel-like about it, a Cayman is perfectly proportioned and incredibly well packaged and put together. The Emira is neither of these things.

If you rocked up to a car show and parked your new Emira next to an A110 you’d feel very, very short changed I think.

Anyway.

I’m not getting one.

Or an A110 or a Cayman.

But I am, hopefully, fingers-crossed, all being well, going to rock up to CLM in something that isn’t a Porsche.
Funnily enough I’ve now traded in the A110 for a GT4.

I loved the lightness and handling- especially when I’d tweaked the geometry, but I missed the manual gearbox and didn’t love driving a turbo

During the buying process I wondered if I was being daft as it’s a daily driver but I’ve loved it the more I’ve driven it. Every drive is a bit special.

It feels a big step up from the A110 in quality (and the a110 was a nice place to be), and the driver involvement that comes from 3 pedals. Admittedly it is also a big step up on terms of price, and of weight (but it handles that well)
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

jb wrote:An air cooled 911 is fast enough to be fun and can be red lined every time you drive it. It is nimble and agile and able to go down narrow roads at speed without too many worries and it makes a lovely noise.

It has 2 occasional seats in the back so kids can come along for the ride or it can also accommodate a bike in the back. A Targa may even allow you to put one in without even taking the wheels off if you leave the roof off.

In the front boot there is loads of room where you might be able to fit another bike or at least a couple of bags and loads of beer - just look at what gets taken to CLM in them.

Unlike modern cars it still looks like a car mechanically and unlike other supercars it can be worked on by anyone with half an idea of what to do with a spanner and it doesn't need you to do much to it from year to year. You can leave it alone for months and then get in it and drive off the south of France without doing anything to it other that putting in fuel.

Unless it is MFI it is fairly economical and if it is old enough it is cheap to insure and tax.

If you want you can paint it stupid colours and if you have to sell it you will probably get a lot of your money back.

Get real. The 911 is a fabulous car and just what you need. I would recommend a 964 Targa in purple for you.

Having said all that I would love to have a go in all sorts of cars but I don't want to own them.

Oh and good luck with your quest - keep going it is good for DDK.
I would disagree on some aspects, the idea that an Aircooled 911 is is a Toyota in terms of reliability and running costs. Jasons thread on "new car woes" of his oil pipe issue in his Green 2.2 are understandable if you are within the aircooled 911 scene the oil pipes in the sill are always a dread. My never ending engine oil drip on a car that was rebuilt was only solved with a top end rebuild and a shrug of they all do that after a while. All of my German cars have suffered from the same random chocolate engine/interior part that are 'service' items for that car.
There are plenty of exciting cars out there for under £90,000 and I would avoid Porsche if you have experienced it as it is like the Nissan GTR or Corvette, yes the 911 is the Vette of German cars. New Porsche 911 owners only talk about paint codes as everyone has the same car so try something different.
Scene tax