Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

1951 356 RHD Split Window Coupe

Post by mycar »

A post from the PCGB forum:-

"A friend found this photos in his loft they had been there many years

The description is of a 1951 Split window coupe UAH 146 that seems to have been up dated with a later A front clip and vynal roof.

Chasis number 10964

Engine number 20620

It appears to a RHD Coupe possible one of the 3 ( 2x Coupe and 1 Cabriolet ) import to the UK Before AFN became the UK concessionaire.

In the 90’s Derek Bell’s manager owned the cabriolet and had it restored by the factory. Unfortunately without Bretts reference book several mistakes were made.

on the reverse the owner is listed as L P Mawbey.

I wonder if this car still exists"

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm. ... msg1048667

Was this your brother's car Roy ?

Also a photo of a sunroof coupe.

roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 1951 356 RHD Split Window Coupe

Post by roy mawbey »

Yes Mike that was my brother's car. Peter bought it in the mid 60's for just over one hundred pounds and owned it for about ten years. He worked for a while at AFN and as I have mentioned before we lived near Isleworth and 356 cars were known to both of us from the mid fifties.

He took that car to Germany and the Christophous magazine did an article on it after Richard von Frankenberg met Peter over there.

He finally sold it for around one thousand pounds in running condition at auction in London. We believe it went to Japan and we have looked a lot over the next 40 years or so but never found anything about where it is now.

It was LHD converted to RHD, It had front ATE discs replacing the drums and our 1952 original RHD coupe came in useful before we scrapped it in supplying one of the first 356 syncro gearboxes by replacing the worn out crash box that had failed in the 51 car with the 1952 one.

Sure the car had minor things modified but the car was original inside except he managed to get the last new RHD 356 pre A dashboard from AFN and fitted that complete with working Telefunken radio. Even had the original engine !

I seem to remember it arrived first into Ireland then came over to the Birmingham area. Peter has a copy I think of the buff log book.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

That's great Roy, I remember you said your brother had a 356, when I saw the name L P Mawbey if felt sure it would be his.

David Foster who posted the enquirey on PCGB also posted on the Registry and I've pointed him in this direction.

Jules Dielen over on the Registry comments :-

Whew if that car could tell a story! An A hood handle and yes, 2 new front A halves, one early and one late! At least the right side has the 58 standoff for the turn signal.

From what i have found, 10964 was a German delivery car, a LHD in fish silver gray on blue.
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Roy,

Some pictures of your brother's car in Japan & in period on the Registry site

https://forum.porsche356registry.org/vi ... 7&start=45

maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Hugo,

A few years after a lot of trying my brother Peter found the new owner in Japan. They conversed by mail but I don't think he ever got a photo of the car back from him because of the language situation. I was amazed to see the car as it is now!!!

That guy has spent some money on it for sure. And money well spent as it was still running the original engine when it was sold and disappeared there so many years ago now.
So... I will be so pleased to send him the link and his eldest son now 50 years old will be pleased too as he was a youngster when the car went. Of course like so many things he should have kept it!! The other picture shows the car with his wife taken again years ago.

I wonder if Tom Birch who we did contact at the time of trying, to find it and who had lists of 1951 cars knows it ended up there.

Thanks again for that info!

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954