Leak between in let and head!

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Leak between in let and head!

Post by neilbardsley »

I have a leak under the two nuts. I took the carb off and loosen them to try and remove the inlet manifold but it wasn't that easy. I'm guessing/hoping it's the gasket. How do I get it off to replace? I'm guessing the tinware over the head has to come off?

Explains the strong petrol smellImage

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
KS

Re: Leak between in let and head!

Post by KS »

No you don’t have to remove any tin. Just remove all four nuts and wiggle the manifold off the studs.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you I will have another go tomorrow. I couldn't see the other two bolts

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Looks like I have some long bolts which have an Allen key headImage

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

The gasket I had in my gasket set (which Andrew gave me with the car) are wider than the standard gasket. This caused two problems.

1) Now the bolts and nuts are hanging in by a thread so I need some longer bolts. Only about 10-20mm. Anyone know what thread and length they are? The nuts are 12mm. I need the Allen bolts and the threaded bolts.

2) The gasket moved the left carb beyond the length of the linkage rod. Thank goodness I had an extended but I had to cut the existing rod. I got the carbs nicely balanced but will also look to make or source a rod.ImageImageImage

KS

Post by KS »

They’re just regular M8x1.25 thread.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you for your help. I wouldn't of got it off with out your encouragement as it took quite a bit of wiggling